Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting wireless broadband at home as Ive just got me a laptop! Ive taken these options from getbroadband.ie and just wondering which one would be best to go for. I know hardly anything about it and Ive picked out options with the lower contention ratio of 24:1 as I presume thats better??
Use will be for general arsing about, nothing major.......

DSL-XTRA from Digiweb broadband.

50 Email Address' as Standard

40GB Cap

(Prices include VAT @ 21%)
Monthly Fee €42.33
Installation Fee €29.95
Download Speed 3Mbps
Upload Speed 384Kbps
Contention Ratio 24:1
Connection Type ADSL

Option 3 from BT broadband.

Download limit of 30GB per month
Wireless modem upgrade €40

Monthly Fee €40.00
Installation Fee €40.00
Download Speed 3Mbps
Upload Speed 384Kbps
Connection Type ADSL

Imagine Broadband Always On Plus from Imagine broadband.

Fixed I.P address at no extra cost.
5 email addresses.
16GB Download allowance.
Unlimited Upload

Dual USB/Ethernet Router for only € 2.99 per month or € 44.99 once off charge.

Monthly Fee €29.99
Installation Fee €44.99
Download Speed 2Mbps
Upload Speed 256Kbps
Connection Type ADSL

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasnt lying when I said I know hardly anything about it

I have no phone line at home.....

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks bohall, but im in Cork and I saw in another post that your company doesnt cover cork yet!
1-0 to markmcie

Cheers though, any advice for me??

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm in north Dublin, not far from the airport and in a fairly well populated area and its a fuckin joke when it comes to broadband. Eircom just keep saying they cannot provide it on over our line but the neighbour has it so I dont see the problem.

Eircome are the biggest shower of wankers to get any information or any level of customer service from so for that reason alone I would advise people just not to deal with them.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
QUOTE Eircome are the biggest shower of wankers to get any information or any level of customer service from so for that reason alone I would advise people just not to deal with them.

I'm with Eircom and for the first 2 months i didn't have the filter on all the phones in the house, just the one that my Dsl was connected to which meant it only worked when the downstairs phone was not in use!

Gave out stink to Eircom and they put me through to tech support which asked me did i read the installation manual?
Turned out hat i made a cock up, i should have put the filters on al connections as stated in the instructions! and they waved the first 2 months as a sign of good will!

I don't work for Eircom!

Actually, i do't work!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers baza..... from that map they cover within a mile or twos radius of the city centre. Unfortunately doesnt even come near my area.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Amocom

the map says it covers Carrigaline.

Home User - 512kbps upload and download speed. €149 to install and €60. not cheap but a very reliable service.

They don't provide a wireless router inside the house as far as i know, but if you want on they're cheapish and i can get them at cost or there abouts.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
QUOTE (markmcie @ Mar 8 2006, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Eircom are the biggest shower of wankers to get any information or any level of customer service from so for that reason alone I would advise people just not to deal with them.

I could'nt agree with you more, you get to talk to unhelpful gobshites after being left on hold for 20minutes, they make my blood boil.

Mark, My folks live down the road and got eircom broadband a few years back, is that a farce or what.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Eircom depend on the exchanges, and whether or not the exchange can handle broadband etc. You'll find that you might work off one exchange, and ur neighbour works off another. Someone try and find the logic there...........

Then u might be the last on the line and the furthest from the exchange, u'll basically be getting dialup speeds for broadband prices.

The company i work for just got permission for another 20 odd masts and we should have nationwide coverage by the end of the year......

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
Digiweb seem to be pretty ok but i have heard of them beign down for short periods quite often. IBB are pretty ok we have a few people on them at home. Pity you have no phone line....copper is the best option !
Try Ireland Offline for hints tips and suggestions

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
What speed would be OK for home use?

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
Depends on how much you want to use it...
For general brwsing in the home 512kb down 128k up is fine. (Most offer 1mb now)
If your trying to run a business form home i would say at least 1 mb down and 128k or 256k up. Most mid level offerings are now 2mb down which can be nice and quick

Then again it all depends on the contention ratio i.e. how many people you could be sharing the line with..the lower the better !
I have Eircom Home Starter on a 48:1 contention and it's fine. But then again I'm in Portarlington where there has been a very low uptake on it ! reckon I have i to myself most of the time !

Post up what package option your thinking of and we'll have a look !

Dec

1 - 20 of 41 Posts