Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the car booked in for its first NCT next week. Everything is fine and it should fly through it, only problem is when heading down the N7 to Tipp on Saturday a truck threw up a stone which left a fairly big stonechip near the bottom of my windscreen!! There is no crack just a round chip about the size of a 5 cent piece. Even though I have windscreen cover I dont have time to get it changes before the NCT. Will it pass with a stonechip? or will I have to find time to get the windscreen replaced??

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
It depends on where the chip is on the screen and what size it is.

There are 3 zones

The first is an area swept by the driver's wiper 290mm wide centred on the middle of the driver's seat.

You are allowed 2 defects a minimum of 100mm apart that must be contained within a 10mm circle.

The second area is the rest of the driver's wiper swept area

Again it's 2 defects a minimum of 100mm apart, defects must be within a 20mm circle or cracks less than 30mm long.

The third zone is the swept area of the passenger wiper, 2 defects min 100mm apart, contained with a 40mm circle.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
u know the triangular shaped spot in the middle of the bottom of every windscreen, the place that is missed by both wipers cos it right between where the drivers wiper ends and the passenger wiper starts??? The chip is in that triangle, its round little smaller that the size of a 5c coin. I have a feeling I will get away with it cos of where it is located.

By the way does anyone know how badly cracked a windscreen has to be before an insurance company will replace it??? If its not bad enough as it is I have a lovely hammer at home!!!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
QUOTE (Kamikaze @ Mar 14 2006, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>By the way does anyone know how badly cracked a windscreen has to be before an insurance company will replace it??? If its not bad enough as it is I have a lovely hammer at home!!!!

They don't check them you just get them replaced and they send a check to you to send on to the crowd that replaced the screen

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
QUOTE (Kamikaze @ Mar 14 2006, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>u know the triangular shaped spot in the middle of the bottom of every windscreen, the place that is missed by both wipers cos it right between where the drivers wiper ends and the passenger wiper starts??? The chip is in that triangle, its round little smaller that the size of a 5c coin. I have a feeling I will get away with it cos of where it is located.

By the way does anyone know how badly cracked a windscreen has to be before an insurance company will replace it??? If its not bad enough as it is I have a lovely hammer at home!!!!

It should pass no problem.

Sure even if it doesn't you'll have a few weeks to get it replaced and come back to them for them to check it without paying for the retest as it is only a visual thing.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
QUOTE (Kamikaze @ Mar 14 2006, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have the car booked in for its first NCT next week. Everything is fine and it should fly through it, only problem is when heading down the N7 to Tipp on Saturday a truck threw up a stone which left a fairly big stonechip near the bottom of my windscreen!!

The exact thing happened to me in the Touareg on Monday, I had'nt even got it 3 days

·
Registered
108 Posts
QUOTE (PD150 @ Mar 14 2006, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The exact thing happened to me in the Touareg on Monday, I had'nt even got it 3 days

Sorry to hear that Dave. It always seems to be the trucks that throw the stones up.

Those VWs are bad luck lads!!

I got my Golf on a Friday and by Sunday morning there was a poxy stone chip right in my field of vision. I was nearly sick when I heard the noise! It bugged me every time I looked out the window. Then, about a week before I sold the car, I got another stone chip which had quickly grown to a 4 inch long crack, even before I had got off the motorway!

Edit: The whole reason I posted was to say this...

@PD150 and Kamikaze

Would you not consider getting the chip repaired? I had that done by the guy who does it for Brady's and he did a pretty good job. It's supposed to protect it from getting worse anyway. I can dig out his number if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
QUOTE (Geo @ Mar 14 2006, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd rather get a broken windscreen than a chip or dent on the bonnet

So true...

I got my windscreen replaced (Gratis, a la insurance company...) and when I was getting it done they told me I could have 3 a year.... I laughed at the possibilities of needing to replace it 3 times in one year...The window in it was original! Less than a week later driving up the road I noticed a black dot in the sky.... A few milliseconds later I found out what it was.........

Autoglass have a way of injecting liquid glass into chips,(Glass Medic) takes about 20mins and they'll come out to you where ever you are (ie. in Work) and do it....am sure your insurance company would honour this. Its mad to watch too, and you'd never know there was a chip there......

Dont have their no......!?!?!?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
QUOTE (RiccsonTDI @ Mar 14 2006, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>@PD150 and Kamikaze

Would you not consider getting the chip repaired? I had that done by the guy who does it for Brady's and he did a pretty good job. It's supposed to protect it from getting worse anyway. I can dig out his number if anyone is interested.

Well the insurance company pay for your new windscreen, so I might aswell get one, they did one on the Golf for me a few weeks ago, good job too and they come to your house or place of work

Bradys were looking to charge me for one for the Golf, so I called the insurance company and they sent someone out for me instead no charge, just took the FBD policy number

QUOTE (Geo @ Mar 14 2006, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd rather get a broken windscreen than a chip or dent on the bonnet

Tell me about George, I'm glad it was only the windscreen

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jeez that is bad luck about the toureg but still as the lads said if a stone was to hit any part of it you are better off that it was the windscreen!!!

I mite look into getting the chip repaired, my brother works in a garage in Limerick and he was telling me about a fella who does it for them.

My fear about getting a new windscreen is that they mite just put in an ordinary one rather than the GTI one with the top section tinted! Scabby insurance companies!

Its really only since I have got the GTI with the stiffer suspension and very low profile tyres that I am really realising exactly how bad Irish roads are, now after this happening I am wonder what exactly am I paying tax for!

·
Registered
108 Posts
After all that lads, I'm after getting a f**kin' stone chip this morning. It's tiny, and its near the bottom of the window (kinda), but thats a bad start to the day!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
QUOTE (Kamikaze @ Mar 15 2006, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its really only since I have got the GTI with the stiffer suspension and very low profile tyres that I am really realising exactly how bad Irish roads are, now after this happening I am wonder what exactly am I paying tax for!

Exactly my thoughts.......

AFAIK, Irish gov dont get funding to upkeep old roads, only to build new ones......
So our tax is gone on the M50....at the mo......
Start a revolution??

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The mk1 is up for NCT in a couple of weeks. Only concern is the windscreen has two tiny chips. I think it may pass but if not does anyone know how much a windscreen for a mk1 would cost.

·
Registered
651 Posts
QUOTE (PD150 @ Mar 14 2006, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The exact thing happened to me in the Touareg on Monday, I had'nt even got it 3 days

All that 3 wheeling your doing out in the Meath gravel pit Dave

James has a mate that does the callout service Derek is his name I think, does insurance jobs etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (98MK1 @ Mar 15 2006, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Exactly my thoughts.......

AFAIK, Irish gov dont get funding to upkeep old roads, only to build new ones......
So our tax is gone on the M50....at the mo......
Start a revolution??

A revolution wouldn't be a bad idea!!!!

Speaking of potholes, loose stones and traffic jams, does anyone know when the Naas Rd rod works are due to finish??

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
QUOTE (Kamikaze @ Mar 15 2006, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A revolution wouldn't be a bad idea!!!!

Speaking of potholes, loose stones and traffic jams, does anyone know when the Naas Rd rod works are due to finish??

Was wondering that too on the way up to Spawell on Sunday last..... SOME CAT ROAD!!!! How can they keep it open to the public in that condition.......
Grrrr

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
It has to be done for the Ryder Cup in Sept...byt they are saying the end of June for completion....

It's a pain..they were washing part of the works on Sat and my car got destroyed going through it ! Had to get a major cleaning for Sunday

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
QUOTE (Kamikaze @ Mar 15 2006, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My fear about getting a new windscreen is that they mite just put in an ordinary one rather than the GTI one with the top section tinted! Scabby insurance companies!

They will put in the exact same windscreen, the only difference will be it wont have the VW logo on it, I was worried about this when I got one in the PD150 a while back, it was spot on

QUOTE (Baza @ Mar 15 2006, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>All that 3 wheeling your doing out in the Meath gravel pit Dave

You know it Barry

1 - 20 of 21 Posts