Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well lads.
i got myself a set of 13" wheels there last week and well the lip on them is alil rough so i want to get it niiice and clean and shiney before i put them on the car.

im planning on doing the work myself and i feel pritty confident about it.

i was just wondering what grade sand paper should i start of with and what should i be going up as far as??

also is there anything that i should put on them when im finished to give them a little bit more shine and maybe protection??

all advice appreciated

paddy.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man.

il get cracking on them now so

il put up pics of how i get on

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
having a little trouble getting right into the lip.
anybody know any good tips for getting in there??
but the one that iv started on is starting to look well already after a half hour

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok heres the wheels.
i forgot to mention that im only doing the lip becouse im going to be spraying the rest black.

anyway heres one of the wheels:

and heres the lip:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
yeah im going in tomoro and getting the tyres taking off.
i just was to busy today to bother going in in the end.
whats nitromors, im still really new at this.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
QUOTE (mk2maniac @ Apr 19 2011, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yeah im going in tomoro and getting the tyres taking off.
i just was to busy today to bother going in in the end.
whats nitromors, im still really new at this.

You'll get it in a DIY store

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
iv been at them there now for about 40-45mins, maybe longer.
and here what they look like with 800grit wet sanding

im likeing it so far

and a closer one of the lip:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what is it tuo really??
is it a cleaner or something or is it like white spirits or something???

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no i just bought the wheels last week, so im going to do the lip and get new tyres before i put them on the car.
ohright il have a look for the stuff tomorrow when i go in to get the tyres taken off

·
Registered
794 Posts
nitromores, plenty of different grade sandpaper, start low for any deep scratches etc. id go to about 2000 grit. can wet sand from start but i dont until about 1500 or so, dry sand, then wet with every jump in grade, on 2000 wet sand using some metal polish, then get some fine steel wool and use the polish with that again! i got great results!
as said above, better prep, better results! you aint doing it right until the tops of your fingers are bleeding!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
would any metal polish do or should i go for something specific?

yeah i cant wait till i get that far
its going to be a fun journey

if i take all the laquor of with the nitromores then whats left to protect the wheel or will the polish take over from there or something?
what im going for really is the inside black and then just a polished lip. im going to get the inner part sand blasted before i get then painted aswell. so im just focusing on the lip.

·
Registered
794 Posts
wheel sealant or lacquer will do im sure bud, tryin to decide what to do meself! you could save money and just nitromores the whole wheel, lightly sand the spokes etc and primer!
everything will be easier with the tyres off!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.