Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Skoda - Simply Clever
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a "whoosh, whoosh, whoosh" kind of sound coming from what I think is my drivers side rear wheel when driving. When I got my NCT done last year the guy told me the wheel bearing was showing signs that would have to be done sometime in the next few months.

Is that what a wheel bearing would sound like?

Tyres are fine and sound doesn't go away by clutching and rolling.

·
Skoda - Simply Clever
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was quick!

Sorry, its a Mk2 8v so discs

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
A rear wheel bearing is only about 20 quid and easy to fit so if you suspect it is gone then maybe just change it.

If you jack up both rear wheels and spin them by hand you should be able to hear the difference between the rh and lh side if one of the bearings is gone. It would sound rougher and 'rumble' slightly when you spin the wheel.

·
Skoda - Simply Clever
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent, ill give that a go. If I dont have any joy with the car jacked up I hope to be there in Dundalk on Sunday if anyone is free for a diagnosis on hearing it

·
Savage Member
3,419 Posts
If its a bearing it will sound like HHHHHMMMMMMMMMM (not sure if I spelt that right)

The noise should go when the pressure is on the bearing,so if its the left,it will stop
when you go round a hard right bend.

·
Skoda - Simply Clever
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jacked her up last night. The bearing does have to be done as there is lateral play in the wheel. When i spin it I cant hear the same noise as when driving, maybe because of no load on the wheel or because I cant spin it that fast?? There is however a slight rubbing noise from where the pad is gently touching the disc (doesnt stop me from spinning it). Should I hear this or is the pad slightly too close to the disc?

Thanks again lads.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Dont take any notice of the noise of the pads touching the disc, the pads can move around in the caliper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts