Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to washing the Mk1 after the spin to Portlaoise and the polished outers on the Rm's are not a pretty sight!
Seems the shite that got on them from the spin has eaten into the polished surface in places, so I have to take them off and sort them out...... should have hosed them down when I got home but ill know in future.

I had wax on them but its obviously not up to it..... just wondering is there a hard wax for wheels out there thats made for the job??

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I use the normal car wax on mine. And the dirt seems to just fall off them with a wash. But then, I've about 20 coats on it as I do the wheels when I do the car.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 16 2006, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I use the normal car wax on mine. And the dirt seems to just fall off them with a wash. But then, I've about 20 coats on it as I do the wheels when I do the car.

Yeah thats true, a decent few coats would make a big difference.
Still though, I reckon there must be a harder wax out there specifically for wheels..... ie able to handle brake dust and heat etc

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, a similar state to mine Ronan..... Mine are a lot worse than that in places too, there are spots of oxidisation where the water settled after I parked up. Will have to get sanding and polishing all over again.
They are worth the effort though

Googled wheel wax and came up with these anyone heard anything about any of them.....

Smartwax

American Racing Wheel Wax

Speeding .co.uk

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
I just used autosol on my porsche wheels!
Only thing that did damage was a carwash in Fermoy and one in Castlewellan!

I normally polished it up 4 times! Then buff!

·
Registered
34 Posts
In my biking days I used a silicone spray for all the chrome the type that would rival WD40 for use on hinges etc. It says on the can it stops rust and corrosion. Water, grime etc just slipped off and kept the bike shinny. Cheap Too. I think I got it from Aldi or Lidl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.