Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner

What Should You Say When You Get Pulled For Speeding

976 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  pdxa4 
#1 ·
Following on from my earlier thread

Now im not condoning speeding, nor am i trying to get away with breaking the law, however having studied law for 4 years (despite the fact im now a boring accountant) i find it perplexing how an oversized gruff man can show me a little print out with a number on it and tell me thats the speed i have been doing without a) proving that it was me doing that speed and
proving to me that the device he has used is accurate, apart from telling me that he is a trained operator of the device.

while i realise that the burden of proof is reversed for road traffice offences the whole system seems a bit loose to me.

So if one is pulled over for speeding what should you say and what questions should you ask the garda?

See less See more
#3 ·
Ive heard of ppl getting off because the guard in question wasnt trained to use the gun and sum ppl say that you should ask if the gun has been calibrated at the station to try and get off the fine but i spoose thats all after the fine has been given.

Getting out of the car when stopped is always a good idea imo as your meeting the guard at the same level so he/she isnt standing over you and dominating the conversation perhaps dats crap tho i dunno.
Was in a car with a mate of mine in the city when an unmarked car appeared behind us and pulled us over for speeding and he told them that they scared him when they shot up our arse and thats why he speed up interesting method but he got away with it.

#4 ·
QUOTE (cyrus @ Mar 24 2006, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Following on from my earlier thread

Now im not condoning speeding, nor am i trying to get away with breaking the law, however having studied law for 4 years (despite the fact im now a boring accountant) i find it perplexing how an oversized gruff man can show me a little print out with a number on it and tell me thats the speed i have been doing without a) proving that it was me doing that speed and
proving to me that the device he has used is accurate, apart from telling me that he is a trained operator of the device.

while i realise that the burden of proof is reversed for road traffice offences the whole system seems a bit loose to me.

So if one is pulled over for speeding what should you say and what questions should you ask the garda?

I'd like to know myself, as I'm sure there are some blaggers (like all jobs)

#5 ·
I was stopped just before CHristmas on the Lucan bypass on my way to collect herself in Shelbourne. It was about 12:30 and I explained she was on her own waiting for me. I was considerably over the limit, I got out of the car to talk to the Guard and he was direct, to the point and polite enough. I was apologitic and bricking it (considerably over the limit). He was genuine and let me off. But somethimes the guard thinking he is in charge can be a good thing plus I was lucky he was nice.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Lads, you're dealing with human beings here and we're all different so there's no one "way" to talk your way out of anything. It partly depends on who has stopped you and the opinion he or she forms of you in the first 5-10 seconds after you open your mouth. Garda friends I have, acknowledge that there's an unwritten attitude test you must "pass" as soon as the guard speaks to you.

I've seen this in practice with a friend who's is visably pissed off at being stopped for whatever reason and he lets the guard know it. He gets shafted every time.

I, on the other hand, have found that the polite and apologetic reaction works best when trying to avoid getting done for something. In many cases the guard might feel that he's taught you enough by lecturing you on something and sending you on your way.

#7 ·
"Getting out of the car when stopped is always a good idea imo as your meeting the guard at the same level so he/she isnt standing over you and dominating the conversation perhaps dats crap tho i dunno."

Not really a good idea. A guard might very well have a baton ready to use if you seem to be getting out of a car and to them, starting a confrontation.

#8 ·
QUOTE (Mark N @ Mar 25 2006, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>"Getting out of the car when stopped is always a good idea imo as your meeting the guard at the same level so he/she isnt standing over you and dominating the conversation perhaps dats crap tho i dunno."

Not really a good idea. A guard might very well have a baton ready to use if you seem to be getting out of a car and to them, starting a confrontation.

I agree with Mark.

In any other country it's considered a absolute no-no to get out of the car after being pulled over.

IMO it's best to let the Garda walk up to your window.

I know from the US that one should put both hands on the steering wheel, let the drivers window down, and turn off the engine and radio. If at night then turn on the interior overhead light.

If you make the Cop feel safe then one stands a better chance of not getting a fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.