Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner

What Chip For 140 Tdi?

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Mark N 
#1 ·
Any recommendations? How did tou find the Superchip Mark?

#2 ·
QUOTE (Glenn @ Dec 21 2005, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any recommendations? How did tou find the Superchip Mark?

Dunno about chipping, I'd much rather a full remap on the rolling road. Try ed at turbotech.ie, he did a friend of mine's mk4's. 176bhp and 380ft/lbs from a pd130! Not too sure about the 2.0tdi's though.

#3 ·
QUOTE (Dirty_Diesel @ Dec 22 2005, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dunno about chipping, I'd much rather a full remap on the rolling road.

This makes no sense? A remap is also known as a 'chip'. It's the same thing.

I found the Superchip pretty good Glenn, clutch slip was the only main concern which would be annoying at times. I think I would get an uprated clutch into it (a minor job for a fella of your knowledge!!) before chipping a diesel again.

I think I will have a look at Revo for the Golf in the new year.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
the guy who did my custom mapping outside ballymena now has a rolling road installed. he really knows his diesels. was there 2 saturdays ago. he had a 130 golf on the rollers, he had 180 odd brake with his original program, a few more tweeks and 196 bhp from just a remap through the serial port i think too, so no ecu reliability issues. i know its a bit far!

#5 ·
QUOTE (t18con @ Dec 24 2005, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the guy who did my custom mapping outside ballymena now has a rolling road installed. he really knows his diesels. was there 2 saturdays ago. he had a 130 golf on the rollers, he had 180 odd brake with his original program, a few more tweeks and 196 bhp from just a remap through the serial port i think too, so no ecu reliability issues. i know its a bit far!

gettin a 130 up to a 196 is pushing it a bit but its different for every car for a 130bhp to get 40-50 extra and that good, how much did it cost. id go for re mappin over chipping for a tdi any day.

#7 ·
QUOTE (Brendy @ Dec 24 2005, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>a chip is totally different to a remap, a chip is a physical ecu out and soldering a part on, the remap is software flash only the ecu doesnt have a finger laid on it.

True the ecu doesnt get messed around with at all and remapping is far better on fuel from what i have heard cos ive done alot of asking around and everyone seem to be going for the remap but with petrol chippin is the way to go.

#8 ·
'chip' is a phrase used from the beginnings of ECU remapping where a pyhsical chip or EEPROM had to be physically re-soldered into the ECU. It is still usually an off-the-shelf 'map' put onto/into the ECU.

A 'remap' is the same as above but perceived to be better - however is still the same off-the-shelf map or settings, except applied via serial/diagnostics ports.

The only difference is how they are applied to the ECU. The only time these 2 differ is where it's a custom map vs an off-the-shelf map. A custom map should be written specially for your car, on your car, and usually done on a rolling road, with fine tuning on the open road.

In this day and age the two terms are frequently intermixed and usually mean the same thing (depending on car/era). For a road car on stock ECU I think an off-the-shelf map/chip/remap is fine. You'd rarely be bothered with paying over the odds for that last couple % of difference - except where the car is highly customized or running an aftermarket ECU.

I've got a Revo chip/remap/super-go-fast-stripes on my car, and found it great - had the SPS1 option switch to disable the 'performance' map, often thought it a waste of money, expcept when the clutch start to slip and was able to switch the car back to stock power and drive on until able to replace the clutch.

From my own experience I'd go with Revo again, or else on a new Mk4 or Mk5 would look at the extra options from Revo or APR for security or extra power, some neat little boxes of tricks available these days. But at the same time, people like Logic Automotice / Upsolute do offer really great bang-for-buck ! (Probably half of a Revo + SPS1)

Tom

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (john golf gt tdi130 @ Dec 24 2005, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>True the ecu doesnt get messed around with at all and remapping is far better on fuel from what i have heard cos ive done alot of asking around and everyone seem to be going for the remap but with petrol chippin is the way to go.

So you're saying if you go to a Superchips dealer and one car gets the ECU opened, the other gets the same programme but it's uploaded onto the port, one is going to be as you say over the other??

I'm sticking with my theory that they're pretty much the same, save for the way they are applied to the car.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
my car needed the new eprom soldered in,because of the sheer amount of alterations i had made ( remember everyone else in the country had chased me because i had moved up 2 maf sizes and an injector size) but the diesel i saw the guy doing definitely was through the serial port. this is not a generic map by any means, the 180 odd brake was the generic map similar to what youll get from revo, etc. but the extra he gets from looking at what way the car is actually performing on that map, and tinkering to suit the INDIVIDUAL car. im not a computer buff by any means, but what i think i observed was individual sections of a 3d fuel map being highlighted and altered where there was improvements to be made over the generic map.

#11 ·
QUOTE (t18con @ Dec 25 2005, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and tinkering to suit
definately the words id use!

ive been down the chip route fellas (ecu opened and supposed to have had a proper prom fitted) and my ecu took in water after shit workmanship. ive since had to replace my ecu and have revo on her now and cant complain about it whatsoever. keep away from non national brand names is my advice.
if your car is under warranty, a remap is the best option if possible, if youre car is out of warranty and has been modded for performance, after a certain point id recommend proper managemet systems rather than a rechip.

#13 ·
I like the tuning box myself, in or out in 2 mins, maybe not as smooth as a remap but can be sold on seperate when th ecar has gone.
As for ''chip'' EEPROM replacment, I dont think any companies do it, I think all do serial port remapping be it off the shelf or custom. But if someone wants to open the ECU go somewhere else if its a standard engine.

#14 ·
Superchips should be a serious consideration, I drove Reflex TDI (james) car off uk-mkivs.net, he has a hybrid turbo on his PD 150 and then customed remapped by Superchips. It produces 213bhp and im not joking it does not smoke more than a stock one
, So it has to be perfect mapping

#17 ·
QUOTE (Glenn @ Jan 20 2006, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice, was just looking at the logic site and they list 175 and 395nm of torque, same torque as a chipped E46 M3!
glenn have you seen the torque curve on a m3 though, it would still murder the turbo'd motor, mine puts out more torque than a 97 m3 but mine only holds over say 2750rpm-5500rpm where the m3 keeps her steady from 2500-6500.

#18 ·
QUOTE (Brendy @ Jan 20 2006, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>mine puts out more torque than a 97 m3 but mine only holds over say 2750rpm-5500rpm where the m3 keeps her steady from 2500-6500.

It would depend on gear ratios too, higher revving cars tend to have lower ratios.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.