Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok second time in the space of a month that i have found water in where the spare wheel is.. taught it might be one of the seals letting in the water so kinda glues these down.. not and dried everything..

today i got into car and could smell damp so when i got homw from work i puller everything out of the boot and low and behold the spare wheel area was now an aquarium.. there was a fair bit of water in there..

anyone know what could be cauing this or could lead me in the direction of fixing the problem.. any chance it could be coming in from behine the lights.. the are standard lights, in fact the whole car is bog standard.

all help appreciated.

danny

·
Registered
551 Posts
You're leaking in somewhere for sure (I currently have a similar very annoying problem with my windscreen) Dry the back of it out, to try tracking the leak down place kitchen paper around it, leave the carpet and stuff out. Turn on the water hose over the car for a couple of mins, open the boot and see if you can see any water coming in, check the paper towels for water, that should let you track it down to the general area

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
A mate of mine had an 01 Mk4 and the very same problem. We found that the driver side back light was pissing in water behind the seal. Took it out, cleaned it up and rubbed a bit of vaseline on the rubbers and problem sorted.

·
Oh Glenn, you nasty!
2,931 Posts
QUOTE (Steve @ Feb 15 2006, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You're leaking in somewhere for sure (I currently have a similar very annoying problem with my windscreen) Dry the back of it out, to try tracking the leak down place kitchen paper around it, leave the carpet and stuff out. Turn on the water hose over the car for a couple of mins, open the boot and see if you can see any water coming in, check the paper towels for water, that should let you track it down to the general area

Any particular type of kitchen paper you'd recommend Steve? Bounty? or the cheapo lidl stuff?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had a similar problem! drivers side rear light was letting water in. Had to clean all the conections on the light. Drop the rear seat and sit in the car while someone sprays water and you'll find the leak!!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
QUOTE (Glenn @ Feb 15 2006, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any particular type of kitchen paper you'd recommend Steve? Bounty? or the cheapo lidl stuff?

Has to be Bounty Glenn!! All the added absorbance

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers everyone, i've a feeling it could be the drivers rear light too.. took the carpet out and it seams to be alot wetter than the rest of the carpet at that side.. will have a root around tomorrow..

thanks again

·
Registered
50 Posts
Under the spare wheel well in the MK IV there are a number of rubber gromits bout the sise of a bottle top,make sure that they are all in place properly.Also if there was ever a hitch on the car that was later removed there is a gromit inside the rear bumper that may not have been replaced after removal.If all else fails cheak the connection of the water pipe to the rear window washer inside the rear door card.

·
Im one of a kind &#33;&#33;&#33;
145 Posts
Theres a vent on the left quarter panel behind the bumper it can piss in there as well had the same problem
my self with the tdi thought it was the lamp alas no it was the vent entire bumper + back lamps have to be removed to repair. Check behind the trim covering the arch and rear lamp if its wet around the gromit in there that could be your problem. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts