Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Savage Member
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the normal running water temp for a vr6.

My golf sits a fraction below 70 and goes up to 80ish in traffic.
Is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
Corrado VR6's give more accurate readings than MKIII golfs. Corrados will bounce between 85 (driving) and 105 stopped in traffic. if urs stays below 80 then I'd say ur thermostat has stuck open. I have been well informed that the MKIII will not report over 90 unless it hits 110, thats so as not to scare the driver into thinking he has a problem when he hasn't. when my thermostat stuck closed before the car would hit 110 when driving. scared the shit out of me.

·
There is a replacement for displacement, its calle
2,116 Posts
hey dave it seems that you have a lower degree thermostat, this is recommended for reliability on all vr6's as they all run too hot. i have just ordered a new fan switch and thermostat 160 degree from awesome gti they reckon "this is a must". hope this information is useful to you

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
@VRboy,

I too have ordered the 70 degree celcuis or 160 fahenheit thermostat. But even with this the engine will get up to 90 celcuis. much below 90 is not recommend. oil is not as effective in preventing engine wear etc.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Yeah that is true. Also at lower temperatures it will be using more fuel.

The thermostat on the vento is stuck open but I decided that was the best way to have it for track use so I left it. On the motorway it sits at 70ish and goes to 90 in traffic. Goes slightly above 90 when on track.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
The jetta (1.6td) does that as well, but the golf sits below half way. I think the G60s always like to run a little bit hot. You could fit a lower temp thermostat to see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
from when i used mine every day i remember it sitting a little higher, 80 and 90 ish for open road and traffic
so yours if fairly spot on
once the third speed of the fan kicks in it cools right down if it ever gets too hot, you can see objects being sucked in with the fan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts