Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mate of mine i just after getting one .He's heading over to the States again in a couple of weeks and I'm considering getting him to pick one up for me too.What are they like for picking up "bogeys" this side of the pond.......ie are there any compatibility issues with the valentine 1 and the Garda speed guns.Cheers,
lads.

·
Registered
304 Posts
QUOTE (Gee_TI @ Mar 6 2006, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mate of mine i just after getting one .He's heading over to the States again in a couple of weeks and I'm considering getting him to pick one up for me too.What are they like for picking up "bogeys" this side of the pond.......ie are there any compatibility issues with the valentine 1 and the Garda speed guns.Cheers,
lads.

I have one which I had when I was living in the US.

I'd highly recommend it, it works wonderfully and it's main advantage is that it has directional arrows.
With the arrows you can quickly tell what direction the radar/laser is coming from.

Another advantage is it's bogey counter. As one can pick up a good deal of noise especially in the city from places such as automatic opening shop doors etc, it will tell you how many signals it is picking up. Now if you are regularly driving along the same stretch of road each day you know what false alarms you get, so another day when you are driving along the cops may be out with a gun (they sometimes do this knowing that there is local noise, which would throw of a cheap detector which will only process one signal) you your bogey counter will have a extra signal on it. Quite useful in my book.

This unit has saved me a lot of tickets and points. Mostly on motorways, I always slow down when driving through towns and builtup areas.

The unit is very well made and it it upgradable.
Another worthwhile item to buy is the remote unit, this has the arrow display and a mute button. I have this unit mounted beside my steering wheel so that I can quickly mute it. Many guys have taken apart the remote unit and custom mounted it discretely in the dash.
Every few years they do improvements to the unit, such as electronics new frequences etc, you can type your serial number in thier website and will tell you if it is worthwhile upgrading or not. To upgrade you send in your unit to valentine 1 with 100 dollars, they will basically send you a new unit.
The unit also has a hidden function to enable an extra frequency that is used in the UK but not the US, it is pretty easy to switch on. On the website they tell you how to do it.

Disadvantage is:
Valentine only officially sell to the US, they will not ship abroad.
Same applies to when you want your unit upgraded, it must go to and from a US address.
It is expensive, but you get what you pay for.
You still need to keep your eyes open on the road for cops.

This is where I have my one mounted on the present Passat: It is pretty hard to see even at a checkpoint.

Official Website for Valentine1

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers pdxa4 .Yeah my mate got the optional remote unit too ($49 extra).Don't know if i'd fancy having the unit as visible as yours though
. Didn't realise that they won't ship outside the US .

·
Registered
304 Posts
QUOTE (Gee_TI @ Mar 6 2006, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheers pdxa4 .Yeah my mate got the optional remote unit too ($49 extra).Don't know if i'd fancy having the unit as visible as yours though
. Didn't realise that they won't ship outside the US .

Trust me when I say that it is pretty hidden. My car windscreen has factory tint on the top, from the outside you would not see it unless you knew it was there.

If a cop is looking in from the drivers side he would not see it either.

It is also the best location for the radar detector as it is up high.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts