Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Kevin
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru have the Impreza Turbo and Mitsubishi have the Lancer Evo but my question is, what is the VAG equivalent? if there is one, or one that comes close...

something up to 2Litre, Turbo, 4x4 etc

which car/cars from the VAG stable give the same bangs for bucks?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
imo the A4 Quattro would be the closest although its not really advertised or aimed at the same market,
i think that both the scooby and evo have the market share sewen up that no other manufacture trys to compete thats my 2 cents anyhew

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The Eastern beasts are for a more "raw" hairy scary type of driving than the VAG ethos , imo... I'd prefer an R32 to the Japs...even if they are/were faster on a track.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would love to see an Octavia to take on the Scooby and Evo. Both great cars, but someone needs to put it up to them. If the Octavia lost a few kilo's and had the same bhp and torque, more substantial suspension, it would be a cracker.

John

·
Registered
701 Posts
r32 is a heavy beast though, even without the turbos,etc. remember reading somewhere it was twice the weight of the original 1600mk1 to a kilo. the ecc scoob that everyone raves about up here are all lightweights afaik, with alloy panels,etc a vag car would never get down to that weight.

·
Registered
547 Posts
QUOTE (kvw @ Mar 24 2006, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Subaru have the Impreza Turbo and Mitsubishi have the Lancer Evo but my question is, what is the VAG equivalent? if there is one, or one that comes close...

something up to 2Litre, Turbo, 4x4 etc

which car/cars from the VAG stable give the same bangs for bucks?

rs4 and rs6 are on the same accelration /speed equivalent but not money range....basically nothing really comes close out of the vag range for the same money if it does then it needs serious tuning which not the point of the question

·
Registered
164 Posts
QUOTE (johnny99 @ Mar 25 2006, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would love to see an Octavia to take on the Scooby and Evo. Both great cars, but someone needs to put it up to them. If the Octavia lost a few kilo's and had the same bhp and torque, more substantial suspension, it would be a cracker.

John

I did give an old skyline a huge surprise the other week when coming out of some tolls. He really wasn't expecting it, which gave me the advantage.
The vag cars that use haldex have the advantage of non-permanent 4wd which helps make up for the slight bhp deficit. However, I think the scooby's and evo's will always have the advantage in the handling stakes.

·
Registered
701 Posts
QUOTE (Dr. Octavia @ Mar 26 2006, 02:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I did give an old skyline a huge surprise the other week when coming out of some tolls. He really wasn't expecting it, which gave me the advantage.
The vag cars that use haldex have the advantage of non-permanent 4wd which helps make up for the slight bhp deficit. However, I think the scooby's and evo's will always have the advantage in the handling stakes.

yeah , i got slaughtered on some of the forums for daring to say i handed a lesson to an evo6 up a straight road. there were witnesses too. all are not convinced of the potential of the old 20vt. have seen on some of the forums arguements that the new 2litre turbo with direct cylinder injection is WAY ahead when it eventually reaches the tuning masses too, with the head swap to the 18t being the next big thing in the vw tuning world. bring it on,

·
Registered
108 Posts
QUOTE (johnny99 @ Mar 25 2006, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If the Octavia lost a few kilo's and had the same bhp and torque, more substantial suspension, it would be a cracker.

John

And if my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle!!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Dunno lads, 'bang for buck' is there really anything that can rival an older Evo off the docks ? S3/A4 quattro is closest match in terms of 4wd turbo alright, but dont think any of them are as quick off-the-shelf.

Scooby and Evo have legendary rallying heritage, VAG's rallying days arent much to talk about these days. They've got the same performance icon status that VAG probably hasnt seen since the Mk1 GTI. So, I'd say that VAG dont have an equivelant !

·
Registered
547 Posts
QUOTE (t18con @ Mar 26 2006, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yeah , i got slaughtered on some of the forums for daring to say i handed a lesson to an evo6 up a straight road. there were witnesses too. all are not convinced of the potential of the old 20vt. have seen on some of the forums arguements that the new 2litre turbo with direct cylinder injection is WAY ahead when it eventually reaches the tuning masses too, with the head swap to the 18t being the next big thing in the vw tuning world. bring it on,

I witnessed that LOL...also a porsche boxster as well as i remember Conrad

·
Registered
701 Posts
QUOTE (thos @ Mar 26 2006, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dunno lads, 'bang for buck' is there really anything that can rival an older Evo off the docks ? S3/A4 quattro is closest match in terms of 4wd turbo alright, but dont think any of them are as quick off-the-shelf.

Scooby and Evo have legendary rallying heritage, VAG's rallying days arent much to talk about these days. They've got the same performance icon status that VAG probably hasnt seen since the Mk1 GTI. So, I'd say that VAG dont have an equivelant !

i know this is probably going a different direction than what was originally intended, but how would a 400 bhp ur quattro do against a 400 bhp evo or scooby? now THAT would be worth seeing .

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
VAG dont have anything to compare to an Evo/Scooby. A std S3 or any 1.8T std model Vag would get blown away all day evey day by either of the above. As Nigel said, I dont think you can compare a tuned VAG car to them as thats not a fair comparison. What ever about Scoobies, every second Evo seems to have some sort of work done to it. An RS4/6 is the only model I can think of that would put it up to them but again, price range has to be taken into account. Its a sore point with me at the minute cause I got nicely beaten by a local Evo 6 recently that sat on my bumper through the gears and then proceeded to pass me like I was out for a sunday drive. Turned out its a big turbo conversion with 400 brake. I dont know of any 1.8T cars that would be fit for this thing and I've been in some highly tuned ones some of which had over 300 brake!!
When it comes to all out grunt, the Jap stuff is in a different league

·
Registered
875 Posts
I wouldnt think it's impossible, power wise from a vag 1.8 or 2.0 turbocharged motor. It would need 4wd to keep with them on the bends, and I'm not sure there are many transmissions from vag that can handle that kind of power.

John

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It would be interesting to see how a 4WD R32 Mk5 type chassis would perform against said EVOs and Scoobys if they had a well tuned 2lt 4pot out front rather than the big heavy 6 pot unit

1 - 20 of 22 Posts