Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My Mk5 GTi was booked in this morning for its timing belt, water pump etc.

Last night it started hunting for revs and this morning on the way to the garage was revving like a lunatic.

I knew my plastic engine cover with the filter box attached was cracked and has been since I bought the car but assumed it was cosmetic( its been fine for 3yrs!). They have rang me to tell me that the top of the fuel pump, I think they are talking about the fuel pump pressure regulator is cracked and could be the problem along with the rocker cover had developed a crack. All these are needing to be replaced, with the engine cover and all its fitting amount to a substantial amount alone, excluding the original quote for timing belt etc.

I believe the regulator is not a replacement part and need a new fuel pump to aquire the regulator.

Does anyone have an undamaged airbox/engine cover I can buy in or around Galway ASAP? Or does anyone know a stockist of Forge stuff that I can get a twintake from today or tomorrow in the galway area, as I need my car back ASAP.

I have a sick feeling in my stomach that this/these jobs are going to cost me in or around 1.5k by tomorrow!

Any help would be greatly appreciated in sourcing some of these parts.

Thanks in advance.

Tristan

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
It could be the fuel pump follower. Has it ever been changed? What mileage is on it?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny enough I changed the fuel pump follower myself 2weeks ago. I noticed the crack but its on the casing on the regulator.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Would a cracked engine cover cause those sort of running issues?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
QUOTE (kevinm @ Apr 5 2011, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Would a cracked engine cover cause those sort of running issues?

Are we talking about the plastic cover over the engine here? Surely that's just cosmetic?

Hope you get it sorted TJ. What kind of mileage are timing belts supposed to be changed on the MKV? I read 100k kms somewhere before.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it seems the crack has spread and the airfilter part of the plastic may have been damaged so it's sucking extra air? I just don't see how after nearly three years its the cause of it, maybe I'm being naive?

Joe: I've pushed it dangerously as far as I'm concerned, you should let it go passed 120k or five years. My car was 6yrs old in April and I'm pushing 160k klms. The manual says 180k which is ridiculous in my eyes.

For the plastic cover, clips, grommets etc I'm looking at about €700, the timing belt and water pump is €490, and waiting the price on the fuel pump which I expect to be in the region of €280 fitted, and waiting the price on the rocker cover. At the end of the day I need my car back by Thursday really. But for the €700 for the cover I could have a forge Twintake and a load of change left over!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
QUOTE (T J Hooker @ Apr 5 2011, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Joe, is that your 07 g united grey mkv I pass parked Salthill often?

Mine is a blue graphite (not too dissimilar to united grey!) and it would be parked in Salthill a lot alright - I live out that neck of the woods
Yeah, I'd read somewhere that the T-belt should be done at 4 years or 100k kms, not sure how accurate that is either. Mine's just gone 4 years old now and only has 65k kms on it... but I'm chopping it in soon, so I won't be doing the timing belt.!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The engine cover goes for under E100 on ebay. Would a bit of duck tape not seal it until you source one? At least do it make sure its the cause of the running issues. 700 is crazy money!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought so to Kevin, buy after he showed me the parts need it's more than just that top cover. It's grommets, plugs, screws, clips etc

Keith at allowheels just sorted me out with a forge twintake, its cheaper than the original cover and an excuse for a modification :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
QUOTE (T J Hooker @ Apr 5 2011, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought so to Kevin, buy after he showed me the parts need it's more than just that top cover. It's grommets, plugs, screws, clips etc

Keith at allowheels just sorted me out with a forge twintake, its cheaper than the original cover and an excuse for a modification :)
€700 for the plastic engine cover?! Ah jesus even if it comes with gold plated grommets etc, that can't be right?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Have u spoken to Joe Power for advice, my last one an 07 developed a very erratic idle and hunted up and down and would eventually stall, turned out it was a pressure sensor on the high pressure pump on the side of the engine.
Didn't cost too much to put right

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.