Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Plane
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to invest in a decent tool set in the next few weeks. I am thinking along the lines of Teng money or cheaper. I have some pretty decent tools already along with some cheapo stuff thats fine.

But its wrecking my head with tools spread around the garage everywhere and stuff will get lost/borrowed!
I might have a way of getting Teng at a decent price so I might go for them.
Has anyone any other suggestions, I know snap-on is nice but only if I win the euromillions!
I plan on getting a chest and maybe a topbox as well money permitting.
Any other brands that are good, I have seen that sealey do have good deals on sometimes but I have never seen any of there tool chests, there tools seem fine.

Any input much appreciated.
Paul

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Check out Halfords if you get a chance. They have some very nice tool chests and a great selection of tools. I think there own brand of tools are quite respectable and think they are covered by warrenty. I couldn't justify buying Snap On seeing as I'm only a weekend greese monkey but my mates in the trade have serious collections of high end tools which at the end of the day it is their bread and butter so to say.

·
Oh Glenn, you nasty!
2,931 Posts
Teng are good for the money, they have a good deal on at the mo. Sealey stuff can be cheap and nasty

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
QUOTE (Glenn @ Feb 22 2006, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Teng are good for the money, they have a good deal on at the mo. Sealey stuff can be cheap and nasty

What's the deal Glenn ? Whereabouts ?

·
Oh Glenn, you nasty&#33;
2,931 Posts
You wouldn't go near Sealey George? But you'd buy in Lidl and Aldi !!

QUOTE (thos @ Feb 22 2006, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What's the deal Glenn ? Whereabouts ?

Full tool chest for under €1200 Tom, i'll have to check to see if it includes VAT

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I've got a load of Brittool, Facom and Snapon stuff. Snapon is just too dear, but for the money Brittool is very good. Halfords professional is very good quality and very well priced

·
Plane
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
''Full tool chest for under €1200 Tom, i'll have to check to see if it includes VAT''
That sounds the job, let me know if you have any more info on that too.
Aldi and lidl are great, I chased my house with a chasing saw for €80 and a generator for €250 from aldi. The Genni has paid for itself about 5 times over. It even fell out of the bucket of the tractor and is still working. And the lithuanian bird on the till is a cracker!

·
Administrator
7,210 Posts
I have been using Teng stuff for about 10 years now. For someone tipping away at the weekends/evenings its probably best value for money. I splashed out a couple of years ago on a Teng roller bearing drawer chest to keep them all nice and tidy

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sealy and Laser have a new range of tool's and there not bad. Definitly good enough for weekend work. There worth looking at. Would'nt use them myself as thats how I earn my crust, but if only for weekend work there ok.

John

·
Registered
304 Posts
QUOTE (Plane @ Feb 22 2006, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And the lithuanian bird on the till is a cracker!

·
Oh Glenn, you nasty&#33;
2,931 Posts
The Teng offer is a complete 7 drawer cabinet with 491 pieces for €1195 + VAT (List is €1800 + VAT) or a 1001 piece 3 level cabinet for €2995 + VAT (List is €4330 + VAT)

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
I used to be an aircraft mech in baldonnell and we used Teng when starting out for the first few years untill we got our hands on Snap-On or Facom tools.
Can't fault the Teng stuff. I have nver busted a spanner or socket. The ratchet's are better now than what i got 10 years ago when i first started out. I'd recomend Teng for the Weekend mechanic but Snap-On or Facom for the full timer. You get what you pay for as always.

That said i reckon everyone should have a Snap On ratchet screwdriver. Never leave home without it and a LeatherMan !

·
Plane
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And a vice grips, I know a fitter and if he is changing a lightbulb or a full m/c rebuild he turns up with a flathead screwdriver, leatherman, lump hammer and a vicegrip. ''You and yer fancy tools''

I am thinking of the teng chest, I am going to see if its the Professional Mechanics Starter Kit thats on offer.

http://catalog.teamvise.co.uk/

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
The way Snap-On dip their sockets leaves a hair line in the inside of the socket which doesnt get coated, this is their weak spot! One of the lads I used to work with had a good few split sockets. Guarantee is spot on though, just excahnge it on the van the next week!

Klann stuff is very good, have a bit of their stuff too. Make the special tools for VW too!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts