Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been driving the mk1 derby as a daily,and got a bad smell of petrol the other day, check the tank and i could see a tiny pinhole lettin out petrol. and its just a pinhole.

put the car over the pit today, and had a better look, drained alot of the petrol out and check for more holes.

i cleaned the area and its just the one hole. would fibre glass do as a short term solition?
or another type of sealent?

OR

does anyone have a 100% solid mk1 derby petrol tank they want to give me??

Andrew

·
Registered
263 Posts
most good hardware's do a kinda
fibre glass patch you just stick on the sun light drys/hardin's it
i used on a water bowser two yrs ago still good now

·
'Black Balled' member
5,500 Posts
petrol wont dissolve Fibreglass; the only thing that dissolves fibreglass is thinners... Ive a GP mk1 Firbreglass body and after doing some repairs and soaking brushes etc in it; it wont dissolve/soften fibreglass!!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its fibreglass'ed.

so just have to wait and see, its frequently over the pit so il keep an eye on it.
thanks anyway.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@micksheen- didnt realise that..-spent the last 6hours welding today ,infact over the pit and i stand to tell the tale
. but i do understand what you mean, we have a big garage door so it got plently of ventilation.

@plane- liquid metal??? do explain? the terminator kinda stuff?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its labeled chemical metal in the shop, http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165691

Good for side of the road repairs like sumps, leaky pipes fills wheels nice if there kerbed and your going painting over doesn't crack like filler can be drilled tapped grinded. Its sweet stuff altogether! I had to run an engine with a hole in the sump, just lobbed a load of this on with some scrap metal and it held it all together long enough to throw waste oil in and see if the engine ran. One of the lads has it on his sump with god knows how long. Fuck me I should get a job selling the stuff!

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
QUOTE (Dave V @ May 23 2011, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its labeled chemical metal in the shop, http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165691

Good for side of the road repairs like sumps, leaky pipes fills wheels nice if there kerbed and your going painting over doesn't crack like filler can be drilled tapped grinded. Its sweet stuff altogether! I had to run an engine with a hole in the sump, just lobbed a load of this on with some scrap metal and it held it all together long enough to throw waste oil in and see if the engine ran. One of the lads has it on his sump with god knows how long. Fuck me I should get a job selling the stuff!

Not too expensive either from the link, I must pick up some of it just in case i ever do smack the sump hard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.