Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think that's brillient to be honest. I paid €2700 the first year i got insured and wondered how they could have limiters on a motorbike and not on a car. I was driving a 1.4 Mk4 Golf, anything over 70MPH the car felt a bit 'light' on the road anyway.

I now drive a 1.6 diesel mk2 golf that forces one to 'cruise' at the speed limit and think its great. I haven't got any penalty points since I've got it and even at check points the Gaurd's don't botter me when they hear the diesel purr.

I'd be more for them enforcing something like they have in america for unnecessary slow driving.

"No motor vehicle shall be driven on a highway at such a slow rate of speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic thereon except when the slow rate of speed is necessary for safe operation having regard to all the circumstances."

If you cannot control a car safely at the speed limit you should not be on the road. To enforce this off coarse there would have to be a more elaborate driving test which would include 'highway' driving.

·
Addicted to Amaroks...
1,202 Posts
A very good point was made to me one day, the case that this suggestion is based on (the tragic Kerry case) didnt exactly involve a high powered car!
A Hyundai Accent is hardly a car made for speed, but the question is in that case the driver was a 15yr old, what exactly was he doing driving any car?

Speed limiters are a joke, they wouldnt be in two months when every feltspecer and ricer would find away around them

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Looking back on when I was 17-20, if I had the choice now, to put a limiter on my own car back then, I would.

Most cars come limited anyway so hooking it up to change it wouldnt cost much atall (Edit.. Ive heard it can cost up to 400 euro). Enforcing them to keep it limited would be an issue though.

Out of all the countries in the world (not counting Germany's recommended 130kph), the highest a car can go is a set 130kph anyway.

What are they stopping you from doing that you cant do already?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

·
Go Big Or Go Home
7,890 Posts
this is all bollocks....driver education is what needed from young, in school and a driving test system like germany not all this reactionary bullshit. do that and in a short space of time things will start to change, also a re sit of the test every 8-10 years focusing on road craft and observation.

that with a over haul of the driving test would make a change for the better.

insurance company's need to cop on as well and start using TUV marks for mods etc. insurance by bhp & power to weight.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
absolute bollox, whos gonna pay for it ?how would they enforce it? how would they know who has it in their car+ who should have it in their car?its a load of crap it'll never happen .sure, they wont even enforce the learner permit rule here .how many people driving with no exp . driver ?.did they even mention whether he even had a full license , the guy that was driving that killed his passengers?it should be like GB here the way they enforce road traffic .too many wankers on the road and a lot of them are older ,they should have more sense.young people are more prone to killing themselves and their pass. in single car accidents anyway ,fuck them let em get on with it if they like.they might cop on someday.stricter enforcing of the rules we have already would be a good start.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont think this will ever happen to be honest, but I do agree with Razor on the driver education it has to be from an early age and in secondary schools. A system like in germany or Finland where you are taught at night and on skid pads.

We also need the gardai to actually deal with learner drivers that dont have an experenced driver next to them in the car. Maybe a 3 strikes rule where if you are caught 3 times with no one you are banned for a year.

These 2 things together and I think that deaths on the road will decrease quiet a bit.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Even if it did come in, those who want to go that fast will just remove the limiters and be done with it. It's not always high speeds that cause accidents either, but speeds too high for where you are. Car might be limited to 100kmph but 60kmph around a certain bend might be enough to cause an accident. As Razor said the focus should be driver education. I still find it funny that parking isn't on the driving test

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
It's a stupid and I think it would the dangerous .
What happens if you to over take a car
And the other speeds up .you have no chance if a car is coming
Towards you .

I don't think the limited would go ahead anyway.
They is better ways of dealing with safe driving

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Driver education is what is needed not this limiter bs as was mentioned in posts above fatal crashes can happen at lower speeds, a day of learning car control is what is needed also. And fix the roads, i lost a friend this year due to standing water on a road. Council used get constant complaints to sort out the drain, ironically they were out the next day after the accient clearing the drain. Now he is a statistic due to council neglagence. How many other cases are like this and also the suicide is a factor in some cases but all we hear is speed

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
What if I wanted to bring my car on track? who will pay for it? How will take them off when the car gets sold on? Who will monitor this? The crowd that race up and down the by passes of this country will just rip it out anyway, Stupid idea, we need a tougher test for starters, a monkey could pass it, We need the gardai to clamp down on all these small offence they seem to ignore L drivers on the Mway, a lady pulled straight out in front of me when I was doing 120k, she was at 80k max, turns out she wanted to pass that lorry about 2k ahead
, I dont care that she is a learner I lifted her out of it with the indicators, the horn, the a quick flash........ bout 20 times before she saw me
she shouldn't have been there anyway.

We also need to sort out the speed camera and designate them to actually accident black spot, 200m from the Start of the m4 on the n4 coming out of Mullingar is not a black spot
thats a cash making scheme, The RSA needs reviewing and we need to find out how people are dying.

Speed does not cause death, the driver does, Also

·
Savage Member
3,419 Posts
In the last week 2 people pulled out of a junction infront of me causing me to slam on (wide road with great view each way)
and one fucker moved across the white line when I was overtaking.

On the 3 ocasions there was a pensioner driving.

·
Registered
85 Posts
QUOTE (Simon @ Apr 28 2011, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>did 1 of the insurance companies not try to bring something like this a few years ago, where a tracker was fitted to cars
Yeah axa did I had to get one when I started driving 7 years ago on a 93 106 I was paying 3200. It was crap it didn't limit your speed just monitored your speed you where aloud break the speed limit I think 3 times before they cancelled your insurances it also beeped when you went past 60 mph. They said as a bouns if your car was stolen they could find it for free

·
Registered
674 Posts
The third person to comment describes people over 30 as old people!
Safe driving is respecting the road conditions, you could kill someone at 25 miles an hour. And the case in Kerry, they had been reported repeatedly that night for dangerous driving, doing handbrake turns etc.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Im staring down the barrel of 30. Makes me feel like Granpa Simpson!

Its hard to say if something preemptive could have saved those kids in Killarney that night, it was a tragedy that ifs and buts will never fix. rip.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.