Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after driving my mk1 derby as my daily car for the last 900miles. aside from being a 4speed box..i really have to do something about the sound.

so whats out there- at a good price?
want to cover the bonnet,inner doors,all floor and part of the boot area.
something with adheisive on 1side??

what sort of sound deadening is out there?and what will suit what i need?

Thanks lads

Andrew

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've been looking into this for my mk2 myself for the last few months, if you have the money just type sound deadning into ebay and you'll get endless amounts of rubber type stuff with one side sticky. However, on a budgit my new plan is going to be to go to a scrap yards and ask can I gut a new car from it's insulation, then get thick rubber mats and glue them to the floor and use my salvaged insulation along with some rockwool (behind the dash especially).

From what I understand, to remove road noise you need weight. So on a budgit sticking a thick rubber with a bostik type glue to the floor, insides off the doors and roof would reduce sound. Basically what these products are Ebay , but they can be quite costly including delivery.

This site also has all what you will need Clicky

Best of luck with it anyway, I'll be keeping an eye to see what you end up using.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in my parents house- they put down solid beach floor boards, and they used an "acoustic underlay" under the wood before being layed.

would this be suitable for the job? or is it up to standard?

whats the story with dynomat? where can you get it? expensive?

·
Registered
323 Posts
ya i had the same toughts at one stage but the whole weight factor mightn't be sufficent!?!?!

There's mixed reviews about dynamat, some say its great and then others say your just paying for the name and that there are other similar products on the market for better value. I havent seen or heard of anywhere in ireland (yet) that supply this type off matt so the price in posting from england usually is mental. My main problem is I'm a student with no money so I tend not to look at the stuff on the market. Had tought about using 'cow mats', that's not the name for them i know, we had them on the floor at work in the shop behind the counter, their like an inch thick rubber mat. The weight of them might cause the car to loose some power.

I'll be sourcing a cheap version of dynamat and applying it to the inside of the doors and quatar panels and then in the back (mines 3dr) i'll be filling behind the door cards with high density insulation. Then i'm boxing the arches in the boot and filling the area behind with insulation too. I'll be putting the insulation into sealed plastic bags as the condensation off the metal would ruin the insulation in time. Sounds a bit mad I know but it'll be cheap and should work as its the same idea as sound proofing a studded wall in a house.

The lads on here probally know more about it than I do, there's loads off info on google too if you type in variations on sound proofing. Try sound proofing caravan or something like that and more info will come up. If you have money it's easily done I suppose ha...

·
Registered
26 Posts
QUOTE (Mk2oldschool @ Apr 9 2011, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ya i had the same toughts at one stage but the whole weight factor mightn't be sufficent!?!?!

There's mixed reviews about dynamat, some say its great and then others say your just paying for the name and that there are other similar products on the market for better value. I havent seen or heard of anywhere in ireland (yet) that supply this type off matt so the price in posting from england usually is mental. My main problem is I'm a student with no money so I tend not to look at the stuff on the market. Had tought about using 'cow mats', that's not the name for them i know, we had them on the floor at work in the shop behind the counter, their like an inch thick rubber mat. The weight of them might cause the car to loose some power.

I'll be sourcing a cheap version of dynamat and applying it to the inside of the doors and quatar panels and then in the back (mines 3dr) i'll be filling behind the door cards with high density insulation. Then i'm boxing the arches in the boot and filling the area behind with insulation too. I'll be putting the insulation into sealed plastic bags as the condensation off the metal would ruin the insulation in time. Sounds a bit mad I know but it'll be cheap and should work as its the same idea as sound proofing a studded wall in a house.

The lads on here probally know more about it than I do, there's loads off info on google too if you type in variations on sound proofing. Try sound proofing caravan or something like that and more info will come up. If you have money it's easily done I suppose ha...

The stuff they use in office ceiling tiles does the trick. I have my Mazda RX7 boot done with it and it's fine. I can probably get some of it through work very cheap. That Dynamat stuff is v good although not cheap at all.... I'm sure it's fire resistant also.... You could use floor tile adhesive spray glue to keep it down, along with that tinfoil sticky tape (sorry don't know name of it).

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've heard a few people metion using 1 or 2 layers of self adhesive roof flashign when it comes to soundprrofing for audio installs.

Maybe that would help and its a lot cheaper than the likes of dynamat.

Havent used it myself just yet though so cant comment on its effectiveness

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah paudie-il have a look next time im out there-

since i posted this, iv redone the intereior in my car, and i used an acoustic underlay-under the carpets-that we used in my house when we were putting down a solid wood flooring. didnt have have enough to do all the floor but got 60%done and it seriously made a big change.

road noise is much quieter..
just gotta sort the gearbox next. hitting 5000revs to do 60mph is my next sound problem lol. 1.1 4speed FTW haha

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
As roachet said, self adhesive roof fkashing is the job- 1/5 of the price of car audio sound deadening.

Can imaging doing the bonnet wound be worth it for the price of the stuff.
Fire wall doors boot and floor if your flush-

If money is tight i saw ear plugs in whites pharmacy for 99c!!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (euro-star @ May 20 2011, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Jus read last post- use the flashing on the doors and boot. Guy doing my install might have some left over, ill ask

euro-star- are you from kilkenny? yeah the flashing would do the right job, im still yet to cover the bonnet, under the dash higher,and the doors and booted area.

thanks for the info

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.