Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for someone with a bit of knowledge on gearbox oils.

I had my car in the garage today and as a treat for its 100k km birthday I asked them to change the gearbox oil. I know it's supposedly sealed for life but I thought it would be no harm. Looking up online I thought the oil to go in there was VW part number G 052 171 A2. This is that oil http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-981-fuch...ion-fluid.aspx

However, on the invoice they have down that the oil used was 052 512 A2. This is said oil http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-976-fuch...ssion-oil.aspx

It's basically thinner and it's GL4 as opposed to the other which is GL5. I phoned up the dealer and they phoned me back and assured me that they put in the correct oil. Now just to follow up a bit I phoned another VW dealer and they checked their system and the recommended oil is indeed the G052 171 A2 not the stuff they put in.

I don't know how to play this. They charged €110 for the change and I'd be slow to go off and change it myself after paying that.

My question is does it make a difference? Did they put in the incorrect oil or it is splitting hairs. I took it for a good drive and it shifts perfectly.

Thanks!

Edit car is a 2006 GTI 6 speed manual. Gearbox code GVT

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (ShaunieVW @ Apr 6 2011, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Get them to change it, If its the incorrect oil they need to drain it and put in the proper stuff, don't let them fob you off keep at them, Sounds like they are just being lazy IMO.
That's where I'm confused. I rang them back and they were adamant that they put in the correct oil for that gearbox. Any mechanics have any idea if it would be an issue?

I don't really know what I can do when they insist it's correct.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update to this. Took the car out to Noel Deasys today and they put in the correct oil. The service guy was genuinely surprised the original dealer used the wrong oil. Both are the same price and he was of the opinion that it would probably be OK but he wasn't guaranteeing it as he just didn't know the spec as VW don't release them.

Feel better anyway that the correct oil is in there. I emailed VW and got no reply as yet. I'm half tempted to just forget it and move on. Not in the mood for a battle with the original dealer but I might call in once more. I'll not be using them again anyway. Found Noel Deasys very good so I'll switch to them in future, saying that all main dealers are pretty good until something goes wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.