Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lads,

Great site. Does anybody know of a decent private mechanic in the north Dublin or Mayo region that know his Volkswagens. I need to get my passat tdi serviced in the next few weeks and don't want to get raped by the main VW stealers.

Cheers,
D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Geo @ Feb 1 2006, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey and welcome to the site.

What year is the passat?

Does it need anything in particular or just an oil change and general check-over?
Thanks for the reply GEO

Its a 02 Passat 130bph with about 70k on her. It doesn't need anything out of the ordinary really. It needs an oil change plus fuel, oil and air filters. Also reset the service reminder thing.

D

·
Registered
47 Posts
If Geo has hooked you up thats fine, otherwise I know an excellent mechanic who lives in Kilcock. He's Polish and used to eat German cars for breakfast over there. He has just done a headgasket, clutch and every oil seal on my '92 Passat ***** including valve stems and all that using a scaffold pole, an old drill-press, and a set of spanners. At work he also services our five 5 T4 Transporters (Tdi's and normal) and when hes not doing that he has to strip down 40 year old tractors for the boss ... and all that on a construction labourers wage ... but hey he's a non-national (note the sarcasm). He deserves this ad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
QUOTE (Gee_TI @ Feb 1 2006, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No offence......but i ,personally , would not let anyone near my car if they were "servicing" it with that array of tools .

Hehe I'd like to have to seen the unedited reply. First of all, sticking with the thread, he's capable of a basic service with his eyes closed, and second, he and I didnt have the VW tools so he improvised and with an angle grinder he fashioned his own out of the steel he had at his disposal. I'm only giving him his due.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
QUOTE (jimmylin @ Feb 1 2006, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hehe I'd like to have to seen the unedited reply. First of all, sticking with the thread, he's capable of a basic service with his eyes closed, and second, he and I didnt have the VW tools so he improvised and with an angle grinder he fashioned his own out of the steel he had at his disposal. I'm only giving him his due.

Jayzus VST watch out

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Lads,

DieselDave, I'm from east mayo, near Ballyhaunis. I'm living in Dublin but head down west almost every weekend. Could you pass me on that lads numebr in Kilcock Jimmylin, I'd perfer something a bit nearer bases (Dublin North or Mayo) though if I could. The timing belt was done with the last service. I never thought of the pollen filter actually. Its probobly no harm throwing one of them in as well I suppose.

Going off the issue a bit: The car has been always serviced by volkswagen up to now. I'm thinking theres little value in keeping the service book stamped anymore. Its 4 years old and over 70k miles. What are yere thoughts?

Great site by the way!

D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just write in the service book yourself what was carried out. That's what I always do.

Almost everyone knows by this stage that a stamp means nothing & loadsa cars never see a main dealers...simply cos they rob us. So stay clear and don't encourage them.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
QUOTE (dleonard @ Feb 2 2006, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Going off the issue a bit: The car has been always serviced by volkswagen up to now. I'm thinking theres little value in keeping the service book stamped anymore. Its 4 years old and over 70k miles. What are yere thoughts?

Great site by the way!

D

Not in the slightest. My cars only ever see a main dealer for warranty work and then sometimes its not even worth it for that because of the other stuff they break in the process

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
QUOTE (Trevor @ Feb 2 2006, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sometimes its not even worth it for that because of the other stuff they break in the process

So True

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm thinking your right, to hell with them! They probobly give simple sevicing jobs to young apprentices who don't even know their arse from their elbow anyways.

QUOTE (Trevor @ Feb 2 2006, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not in the slightest. My cars only ever see a main dealer for warranty work and then sometimes its not even worth it for that because of the other stuff they break in the process

·
Registered
875 Posts
Since September 2002, european law states that if the vehicle is serviced by qualified personell, and using part of similar quality, the warranty is still valid, and all warranties are 2 years from new. Personally, allot of warranties are not much cop. Volkswagen, Opel, etc think it's acceptable for an engine to use just less than 1 litre of oil in 1000 Km. OPel say 1.5 litre's per 1000 Km is ok on there diesel engine's. I had an Audi A6 Tdi pull in to my garage 3 weeks ago (4287 Km on clock) and the sump was nearly empty, and light on in the dash. Filled it up and sent her to the local dealer, who said it was ok.
If I built an engine and it was using that much oil, I would be ashamed of myself.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.