Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wondered how slow i have to go in my car ? and how many miles of sensible driving do i have to do?just fitted big end + main bearings.its a p.g engine by the way.thanks folks.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
QUOTE (leebo @ Apr 13 2011, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just wondered how slow i have to go in my car ? and how many miles of sensible driving do i have to do?just fitted big end + main bearings.its a p.g engine by the way.thanks folks.
in my experience of running in new engines, i would advise taking it very easy for the first 2/3k,its not so much the speed that you do its more so how you get there,obviously you want to keep your speed down say 60 or 70 mph in top,but more important is that you are very gentle with the throttle and use your gears as much as possible DONT rev it or give it full throttle for a good while

·
Dublin FTW&#33;
9,391 Posts
I was told to make sure the engine was fully up to temp, oil temp included then drive it hard straight away

No engine labouring at low revs and no redlining it for about 100-200 miles. Mid range revs using full throttle to accelerate and then no throttle to slow down under engine braking, keep repeating this.

Maybe I picked up this wrong so open to correction.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Read the same Neilo on alot of American Forums. They tested 2 engines, one ran hard from minute 1 and the other not.
The engine ran hard produced more bhp and less wear.

Saying that, i wouldnt do that myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.