Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Treffen-Heaven
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I could get a Retro look headunit, with the capabilities of a modern headunit?

As in an aux-in port, amp/sub/4 speakers connectivity??

Not too worried about anything else like radio presets or displays or anything.

Even just a piece of hardware that looks like a radio that will do what i need, take in auxiliary and send it to speakers/sub?

Mo.

·
Dublin FTW!
9,391 Posts
How retro do you want to go, what year of car is it for?

I'm going to recommend a becker unit because I think they are the best out there, understated, excellent sound quality, ease of use and modern technology.

They also sell this if you want to go really retro and have deep pockets, €5k

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
Becker + 1

Else, look under Porsche classifieds and look for the CDR2x range which are made by Becker but rebranded as Porsche. They go for reasonable money.

·
Treffen-Heaven
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's for a 1971 mk3 MG Midget.

The second one is exactly the kinda style im looking for but holy mother of god! 5k! It is gorgeous tho.

You know of anything cheaper?

Thanks!

·
Treffen-Heaven
2,295 Posts
That thing is the business!

Another thought.

Say leave the original old basic radio in the dash, but not wired.

Then have a modern headunit say under the drivers seat, and have that wired as the main headunit.

That way obviously I could have all the modern features of the new but look of the old, just have an aux in lead then on the pass seat or run it under the carpet and out from behind the dash.

The main question is though, with that setup, would there be a way of controlling volume and power on/off from the old stereo in the dash?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I have this one for sale:

I got it for the Audi but now I decided to go 1973 spec and not fit any audio at all. It's chrome finish with retro black knobs but the face flips down to reveal the CD slot. It accepts USB, aux-in and SD card.

full spec:

QUOTE APPLICATIONS:
Any vehicle with a 'DIN' (approx.). 7.2" X 2.11" radio opening! Includes most foreign / domestic vehicles, '84 up. Also CLASSICS & STREETRODS already cut for DIN radios (single CD players). The first CD player with a classic look! Fold Down Full Detachable Front Panel.

Features:
CD/WMA/USB/SD/MMC INTERFACE
Fold down & Full detachable face panel
CD/MP3 Compatible
Full Electronic Loading CD/MP3 DECK
ESP-Electronic Shock protection
4 x 40 watts
RCA pre-out (1 PAIR) for rear amplifier
Front Panel AUX in Jack
AM/FM PLL Tuning Radio
Electronic Audio Control, all functions
USB JACK ON FRONT PANEL
Jumbo Size Multi Color Display Panel
ID3-TAG COMPATIBLE
SHOWS ARTIST/SONG TITLE ON THE DISPLAY

cost €250 between purchase, shipping from USA and customs duty/VAT etc. I'll take €220. It's brand new in the box.

·
Treffen-Heaven
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No bother man! Congrats on the sale!

I think that's what I'll be going for. Do you know what the display is like?

Colour? Id nearly prefer black and white!

Hardly as good as the Becker above?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.