Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS it possible to retro fit p/s onto a mk2 8v GTI? Is there anything un-obvious that I would need to change on the motor?? anyone ever done it before?
thanks

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Get all the parts you need from a donor mk2 with the same style engine. 8v/16v.

You will need the pump, pump bracket, pipework, steeringrack and filler bottle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (neil @ Apr 3 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Get all the parts you need from a donor mk2 with the same style engine. 8v/16v.

You will need the pump, pump bracket, pipework, steeringrack and filler bottle.

thanks Neil, have you ever done it?? i retro fitted p/s on a few Fiats before and it was a disastor lol!! the amount of unrelated crap I had to change (fuel lines, brackets totaly unrelated to p/s, modified wing liners ect) Im just wondering if I will have same problems with me Golf basicaly!

·
Registered
339 Posts
nope,

biggest issue is access.

I'd imagine it's a bit of a dose with the engine in place.

relatively simple with it out it has to be said.

·
Registered
147 Posts
QUOTE (landcruiserfj62 @ Apr 3 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks Neil, have you ever done it?? i retro fitted p/s on a few Fiats before and it was a disastor lol!! the amount of unrelated crap I had to change (fuel lines, brackets totaly unrelated to p/s, modified wing liners ect) Im just wondering if I will have same problems with me Golf basicaly!
im planing to do the same job myself! to my 16v.
and Ebay have some complete conversion kits with all youl need, so my best bet is to get one der without the hassle of stripping a doner
please keep me posted with the conversion id like to know what il need to do to convert mine to p/s...............

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
I did it to my car but the engine and subframe were out on the floor.

I believe if you support the engine weight from on top and drop the subframe down and out of the car it would be handy enough.

Getting the old rack out and the new one in is the hard part.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (neil @ Apr 3 2009, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I did it to my car but the engine and subframe were out on the floor.

I believe if you support the engine weight from on top and drop the subframe down and out of the car it would be handy enough.

Getting the old rack out and the new one in is the hard part.

yeah i might do it as part of a overall upgrade to me front suspension and steering over all. One for the summer i think!

·
Registered
292 Posts
someone correct me if i'm wrong but these are all the parts you need:

power steering rack
hoses and reservoir
pump
pump bracket
additional crankshark pulley
different water pump pulley(can get away with out this with a shorted belt, i think)
and knuckle from rack to column

it's a straight forward bolt on, like was mentioned, way easier with engine out.
when i did it i supported the engine and dropped the subframe and replaced all bushes while i was at it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
QUOTE (Vee-Dub @ Apr 3 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>someone correct me if i'm wrong but these are all the parts you need:

power steering rack
hoses and reservoir
pump
pump bracket
different water pump pulley(can get away with out this with a shorted belt, i think)

it's a straight forward bolt on, like was mentioned, way easier with engine out.
when i did it i supported the engine and dropped the subframe and replaced all bushes while i was at it.

hmm...are the sub frames for p/s and non p/s the same do you remember?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Sub frames are the same.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
QUOTE (Vee-Dub @ Apr 3 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>someone correct me if i'm wrong but these are all the parts you need:

power steering rack
hoses and reservoir
pump
pump bracket

spot on but dont forget the rubber johhny for the steering knucke, you need a shorter p/s one

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Forgot that one, it's 2 years since i did mine.

I need to get the car on the road soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in this process now: Question:
Which brand of components would you recommend for this conversion?

someone correct me if i'm wrong but these are all the parts you need:

power steering rack
hoses and reservoir
pump
pump bracket

1 - 13 of 13 Posts