Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Lads,

The rear window washer has never worked in my mkIV Golf. It's never bothered me but one of the lads asked me recently about his GTi which has the same problem. Showing the same symptoms. When you press the stalk to wash back windows you can hear the pump and the wiper goes but there's no water.

1 is a Highline 1.6 and 1 is a Gti and Both are 3 door.

Can anyone shed any light on this. If it's a simple fix I might just do the 2 of them.

Thanks

Cian

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
pop off the boot cover and have a look
THey are notorious for the water feed pipe coming off the assembly and runnign water down to the boot lock Most tiems it's just amatter pf pushign the pipe back on carefully. In some case it's broken off and a bit of a pain to repair

THe lock then shorts and gives you weird central locking issues or alarm issues as was the case on mine

Dec

·
Registered
85 Posts
QUOTE (Declan @ Apr 13 2011, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>pop off the boot cover and have a look
THey are notorious for the water feed pipe coming off the assembly and runnign water down to the boot lock Most tiems it's just amatter pf pushign the pipe back on carefully. In some case it's broken off and a bit of a pain to repair

THe lock then shorts and gives you weird central locking issues or alarm issues as was the case on mine

Dec

How did you fix the alarm issues? I tink I have that problem on mine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The alarm is probably just being set off by water leaking onto it from the washer. This is because the pipe has fallen off the connector and when you use it water leaks down setting off the alarm. Happened to me during the winter washer froze expanding the pipe and making it fall off, just push it back on.

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
either dryign out the lock or replacign it are your options. THe microswtich gets all corroded form the leaking water. I managed to strip mine down and clean it up using switch cleaner and a fiberglass brush for the contacts

Dec

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.