Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the rear pads on my Bora last week & one of the pads is loose.

It is fine when I press the pedal, in that the caliper pulls the pad onto the disc fine, but when I
release the pedal, the caliper goes back out too far & the pad isn't held onto the disc & as a result
is "jingling" between the caliper & the disc.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Tony,

open the two 13mm retaining bolts, pull out the pads, wind out the piston slightly then refit the pads and caliper.

That should be you sorted.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers lads, I'll try that. I have the proper tool for winding the piston in & out adown home, so I'll do it at the weekend, UNless I can find a bit of timber with two nails in the top of it before that! (very ingenius Oisin!)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Something not right here, how did you replace the pads without winding back the calipers ?. A new pad will be thicker than the old one, and therefor, will not fit.

John

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (johnny99 @ Jan 17 2006, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Something not right here, how did you replace the pads without winding back the calipers ?. A new pad will be thicker than the old one, and therefor, will not fit.

John

I did wind the Piston back but, as VST said, probably too far, so if I wind the piston back a small bit, it should be a tighter fit & hopefully work

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
That makes sense. It probably would have righted itself over time as the piston worked its way back out but you may as well do as Tom says.

Mind the thumbs though

·
Registered
875 Posts
The caliper should always pump out to the pads first time when you pump the pedal and stay there. If it dos'nt, slacken the handbrake cable, pump the pedal until hard and then re-adjust the handbrake cable.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts