Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner

Radio Problem Help Please

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Stefan 
#1 ·
Hi all I need some help, i have a mk4 golf and i want to put a new pioneer headunit into it but when i do there is no power at all the radio works perfectly in the girlfriends car, i've changed the fuse in the car and in the radio and still nothing...so as i am not the most electronically minded person in the world i would like to ask if anyone in the region of galway would be willing to have a look and see if i'm just being silly or not

See less See more
#3 ·
StefanR22me='mk4limk' date='Feb 10 2013, 05:25 PM' post='815256']
is the old radio still working when you plug it in?
[/quote]

No but the radio I'm wanting to put into it worked in it about two months ago when it was bought so I'm stumped as to what it can be

#7 ·
get someone who knows what theyre at with a multi meter to find you a permanent live feed for the stereo memory (this will normally be a yellow wire on the stereo), accessories live first turn of the key (normally a red wire on the back of stereo), and earth (normally a black) and re wire the stereo, do away with the key in radio on feature.........

#8 ·
QUOTE (Simon @ Feb 11 2013, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>get someone who knows what theyre at with a multi meter to find you a permanent live feed for the stereo memory (this will normally be a yellow wire on the stereo), accessories live first turn of the key (normally a red wire on the back of stereo), and earth (normally a black) and re wire the stereo, do away with the key in radio on feature.........

I'll try that so, by any chance is there anyone on here that would know how to do that then?

#9 ·
did you just plug the pioneer in? or are you using a loom adaptor to suit your car. just because there is an iso plug on the head unit, that plugs into your standard loom, it dont mean that the pin configuration is the same...

#10 ·
QUOTE (bud1970 @ Feb 12 2013, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>did you just plug the pioneer in? or are you using a loom adaptor to suit your car. just because there is an iso plug on the head unit, that plugs into your standard loom, it dont mean that the pin configuration is the same...

I have loom that i bought in the halfords and they said that it's for my car, i got it when i got the radio.

#11 ·
QUOTE (Stefan @ Feb 15 2013, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have loom that i bought in the halfords and they said that it's for my car, i got it when i got the radio.

I'm doing the exact same job on my Golf this week. The HALFORDS loom does not seem correct, you will have to swap some connections.

If you are a novice, get someone to help you. You could cause a car fire if you do it wrong.

#12 ·
Most radios these day wont even light up if theres no power on the constant live connection of the radio, even though the switched live may be present.
As far as I know the Craic with the adapters is you need to reverse the switched live with the permanent live. Swap the red and yellow, usually they are bullet connections to let you plug them in and out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.