Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told that when a UK reg car is Insured in the south or to a southern address , the Insurance company is liable to tell Revenue or the cars whereabouts etc...

Would that be correct or a tale that some toolbag made up in the pub one night?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I have brought in 8 cars from the uk and i've never heard that before. At worst the insurance company will only insure it on a uk reg for a max of 30 on a uk reg.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The number of days won't be an issue for me, just a bit concerned about the revenue being informed.
Only one way to find out I guess, will see how the weekend goes so

·
Registered
86 Posts
One direct insurance insured me through Hibernian in a northern reg car for one year, but would not renew the following year without the new Irish reg. Hope this helps. Vinny.

·
Formerly mark_eire
1,769 Posts
I've brought load's of cars in Ray and driven them for a while with Irish insurance, not sure if they've changed their policy now, but I never had any problems.
It's probably the same as the tax renewal form, I'm almost sure it say's on the reminder form that if you don't renew your tax that the Gardai will be notified, haven't had any guards knocking at the door.... yet!!

·
'Black Balled' member
5,500 Posts
QUOTE I've been told that when a UK reg car is Insured in the south or to a southern address , the Insurance company is liable to tell Revenue or the cars whereabouts etc...

Would that be correct or a tale that some toolbag made up in the pub one night?

thats the rumour; same as I thought it was all 'pub-lore' when the old man was telling me this on the journey over when we went in earley jan this year to UK to buy my sister a car... got her a nice 07 Td3 avensis estate , and we delivered it to her 'fresh off the boat' from the day before, on a sunday, and she insured it and drove it the 20mile commute to work that week, she had booked an appointement with VRT for that friday, but after waiting all day, she couldnt pay the VRT as they now dont accept company or personal cheques (has to be a bank draft!), so she rebooked for the following tuesday... Over the weekend she was stopped for the UK plates, but explained the situation - she reckons they might have been 'snoopin about' before she did get stopped, so there might be something in that 'pub-lore'...

·
Jamie D
125 Posts
I had this done to me three years ago on the Bora, emailed Britton's Insurance Brokers(underwritten by Axa) before I bought the car to confirm they did insure northern registered cars, emailed back sayin yea thats fine and dandy, so went ahead got the car, got insured with them and 2 weeks later got phone call saying I would be reported to Customs if i didnt clear the car within 7 days.
was a whole handling at the time but taught me a good lesson, never trust an insurance company.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
QUOTE (BarryMKIV @ Apr 28 2011, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can get a definitive answer for you tomorrow if you want Ray?Would appreciate it if you could Barry

Right so, kinda decided as the car has been in storage for the last few years that i'm going to insure it so and see what happens.
Will report back if anyone knocks on the door. Have the gun loaded and waiting
Keep an eye on the sunday world

·
Bus Wanker
3,008 Posts
QUOTE (Ray @ Apr 28 2011, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Would appreciate it if you could Barry

Right so, kinda decided as the car has been in storage for the last few years that i'm going to insure it so and see what happens.
Will report back if anyone knocks on the door. Have the gun loaded and waiting
Keep an eye on the sunday world

No problem Ray, I'll PM you tomorrow.

·
Resident Polo Pervert
5,183 Posts
Its not publore, it is on my renewal letter.

Section 142A of the Finance Act 1992 as inserted by the Finance Act 2010

QUOTE 111.- (1) The Finance Act 1992 is amended by inserting the following after section 142:

"142A.- (1) In this section-

'policy of insurance' means an approved policy of insurance referred to in section 56(1)(a) of the Road Traffic Act 1961 ;

'unregistered vehicle' means a vehicle that has not been registered in the State under section 131 of this Act or section 6 of the Roads Act 1920;

'vehicle insurer' has the same meaning as in section 58 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 .

(2) A vehicle insurer who issues a policy of insurance to a person for a period in excess of 42 days in relation to an unregistered vehicle shall, within one month of the date of issue of the policy of insurance, make a return to the Commissioners of the following particulars-

(a) the name and address of the person to whom the policy of insurance issued,

(
the policy number,

© the commencement and cessation dates of the policy of insurance,

(d) the registration or identification marks assigned to the unregistered vehicle under a system for maintaining a record of vehicles and their ownership duly established by or on behalf of the government or other authority of the state (other than the State) or territory concerned, or where no such registration or identification mark has been assigned, the vehicle identification number,

(e) the country code for the state or territory concerned referred to in paragraph (d) as set out in the International Standard ISO 3166-1 (Codes for Representation of Names of Countries and their Subdivision) of the International Organisation for Standardisation, and

(f) the make, model, type and colour (if known) of the vehicle.

(3) Where a return is required under subsection (2), then such return shall be made in such form as the Commissioners may require, including by electronic means, as appropriate.".

(2) Subsection (1) applies to policies of insurance (within the meaning of section 142A (inserted by subsection (1)) of the Finance Act 1992 ) issued on or after the date of the passing of this Act.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2010/en/act...05/sec0111.html

·
Registered
638 Posts
Dont forget you have only 30 days from date of importation to register the vehicle .......

http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/archive/201...0-vrt-ncts.html

If you cant prove that date of importation when you go to register the vehicle it can get messy and expensive

What happens if I forget to register within the 30-day limit?

Under current legislation, you are obliged to register your vehicle within the 30 day limit. If you fail to register your vehicle within 30 days of the vehicle entering the State, you risk having the vehicle detained. Notwithstanding this, an additional assessment of VRT (and interest) will be raised by Revenue at the time of registration, for the period your vehicle remained unregistered in the State

What paperwork do I need at registration?

In all cases you will need photographic ID i.e. a passport or a driving licence. Additionally you will need:-

1. evidence of previous registration e.g. foreign certificate of registration, a certificate of permanent exportation or a certificate of de-registration, as appropriate, if the car has been previously registered. If the car has not been previously registered a Certificate of Conformity
2. the purchase invoice
3. documentation verifying the registered owner's name and address (Utility Bill, Bank Statement)
4. the Personal Public Service Number (PPSN) of the person in whose name the vehicle shall be registered. Documentary evidence of the PPSN will be required. This includes a payslip, P60 or any documentation issued by Revenue which include your PPSN, name and address. Where an authorised trader (TAN Holder) is registering a vehicle on behalf of a customer, they should give their Revenue Customer Number (i.e VAT or CT number) in place of the PPSN of the person in whose name the vehicle is being registered.
5. for imported vehicles, where the invoice is dated more than 30 days earlier than the date the vehicle is presented for registration, documentation to confirm the date of arrival of the vehicle in the State (e.g. storage or shipping details as appropriate)

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
To get past that^ couldn't you just "sell" the car to a friend before you VRT it?

·
Registered
638 Posts
QUOTE (Carden @ Apr 29 2011, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To get past that^ couldn't you just "sell" the car to a friend before you VRT it?

Unless you are a trader the answer is no. The vehicle still has to have a shiping receipt and selling a vehicle that is registered outside the state is illegal. But you all know that anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.