Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im looking for some help so any information will be greatly appreciated. I have a MKV golf and i am looking into buying a set of Projector Front lights for it.Heres a pic of wot im lookin for. So far i have a price of €330 for these. I am looking into buying a set of HID lamps for them soon afterwards. Just wondering whether anybody can get a better price..or better quality lighting units similar to these? I do a lot of night driving and the HID lamps would be very useful.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
701 Posts
QUOTE (Flanders @ Feb 22 2006, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi im looking for some help so any information will be greatly appreciated. I have a MKV golf and i am looking into buying a set of Projector Front lights for it.Heres a pic of wot im lookin for. So far i have a price of €330 for these. I am looking into buying a set of HID lamps for them soon afterwards. Just wondering whether anybody can get a better price..or better quality lighting units similar to these? I do a lot of night driving and the HID lamps would be very useful.

Thanks in advance

group buy on hids on seatcupra.net fairly cheap.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You'll have to excuse my ignorance but what are HID lights?? Are they worth buying? Is the style any different to the current MKV lights?

Thanks..

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are a high definition head lamp with a piercing white light emitted from it.
Some are known as Angel eyes. Dey are very effective and a nice subtle touch in
my opinion.

Anyone know anymore on where i could get the Front headlight unit for cheaper than
€330?????????

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
Sorry to be pedantic but Angel Eyes are completely different !
Angel Eyes are the yellow rings you see as the parking lights on Beemers for example. A lot of people have modded MKIV headlights to include them as yellow rings around the driving light.
HID's are.........

FAQ about HID kits:

What is HID?

HID stands for High Intensity Discharge. It refers to lighting technology that relies on an electrical charge to ignite xenon gas contained in a sealed bulb. The technology of HID automotive lamps is similar to that of common vapor-filled street lamps. HID lighting doesn't have a filament but instead creates light by igniting an arc between two electrodes. HID lights get their name from the intense white light produced by the electrical discharge. HID lamps are also called xenon lamps, referring to a gas inside the lamps. HID general lighting has been used for years in sports arenas and stadiums around the country.

Why HID?
Some auto experts cite the almost complete darkness on isolated highways as a reason for why HID lighting is becoming popular. HID lights promote safety by providing a better overall view of the roadway and the ability to see upcoming objects quickly and more clearly. For example, road signs and objects on the road are easier to see when illuminated by HID headlights.

How is HID different?
HID lighting provides about three times the light output of standard halogen headlights while using less energy. HID lights are designed to last up to ten times longer than standard halogen lamps.

What about HID's color?
The color of the light source is expressed as its color temperature. As the color temperature increases, the color of the light moves from yellow to white to blue-white. HID headlights provide light at a higher color temperature than standard halogen headlights, which gives them a crisp white appearance. More K does not mean it is brighter.

Are HID headlights better, brighter, safer?
HID lighting provides the brightest illumination available. The more intense, higher color temperature light results in three times the output of standard halogen lighting, which means improved peripheral vision and enhanced down-road visibility. The end result is safer driving for everyone on the road.

What sizes do HID's come in?
We have the main 8 sizes car headlights are designed for: H1 H3 H4 H7 9004 9005 9006 9007

Why is it so expensive
HIDs are more involved than normal bulbs. They come with ballasts, gas bulbs, and custom wiring. The cost to manufacture these items adds up.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ Passat130 thanks for ther information my understanding on this is a whole lot better now.
What sort of prices am i lookin at if i do choose to opt for these lamps?

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
Not 100%
There are HID conversion Kits available depending on your bulb type..to be honest the guys in the UK are well in to it.
Try a UK site called UKMkivs.net

Loads of guys on there have added the conversion kits to MKiv's and i dare say MKV's as well. It'll def set you back a few hundred sheckles. If you gonna do it i wouldn't bother with the projector headlamp first..just convert your existing ones. New bulb goes in and the new wiring and ballast mounts behind at somewhere of your choosing........

Here is a link to a guy in the UK called Foxy from the UKMKiv's site. Bit of a legend in modding circles HIDs seems like no documentation though

UKMKiv's lighting forum for MK V's

and a good reseller here

Hope this helps

Dec

1 - 8 of 8 Posts