Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well lads,

went to take off the wheel off my golf today and two stud rung off in the hub
. . . . .have the disc,brake calliper and all that off but a vise grip on the broken stud wont twist it out so have to have more fun and the stub axle will have to come out. . . . the 30mm nut that is on the end of the drive is unbelivebly tight so im a small bit worried if i force it too much i could do more damage to that and i dont want any more headaches if i can help it,the compresser wont budge the nut so im not sure about that. . . . the bearing isnt in the stub if im thinking correctly?. . . .anyone give any ideas? tips? thanks

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I am going to assume that its a rear wheel as you talk about the stub axle. Stub axle nuts should not be that tight, leads to too much pressure on the bearing. It should be split pinned though.

If its the front (30mm nut? maybe) then your best bet is take the drive and hub out together and get it up on the bench and try to drill the studs out. You can drill the studs out while its left on the car if you're not up to ripping everything out.

Might be worth investing in some easy-out stud extractors.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Underhauled @ Apr 16 2011, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am going to assume that its a rear wheel as you talk about the stub axle. Stub axle nuts should not be that tight, leads to too much pressure on the bearing. It should be split pinned though.

If its the front (30mm nut? maybe) then your best bet is take the drive and hub out together and get it up on the bench and try to drill the studs out. You can drill the studs out while its left on the car if you're not up to ripping everything out.

Might be worth investing in some easy-out stud extractors.

didnt mean to say stub axk=le sorry. . . .its on the front drivers side. . . . . i can get access to a serious lump of a compresser tommorrow with an inch air gun. .. . . if that doesnt open it its doubtful anything wiil?. . . . sure im thinking it could hardly damage anything could i?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
No you wont do damage unless the previous goon cross threaded it. Had that before not fun! Good luck

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Underhauled @ Apr 16 2011, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No you wont do damage unless the previous goon cross threaded it. Had that before not fun! Good luck

history with the car and plenty of recipts wouldnt imagine there was any messers near it. . . . what do you mean by cross theraded?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.