Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
another day, another break down.
Girlfriends polo which has been going perfect since last year, has been giving a really bad knocking bangin tudderish sound from under the gearstick area, i couldnt see anything out of the ordinary but when theres no weight in the car the sound goes away! also when u raise revs, it gets much louder. anyone heard anything like this before?

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Sounds like it must be the exhaust hitting off something. Sometimes what happens is the weld breaks where the pipe meets the centre silencer and the pipe slides out a bit causing the exhaust to hang down slightly, it's not always noticeable straight away.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Probably the exhaust, especially if it gets worse when you rev the engine.

·
The OtherCian...
612 Posts
does it sound random, or does it speed up with revs?

When the bottom end started to go on mine there was a similar noise, like a mini jackhammer under the car. Though this could be a completely different noise...

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Insomniac @ Feb 1 2006, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When the bottom end started to go on mine there was a similar noise, like a mini jackhammer under the car.

Your starting to worry me now!,

Ya it is kinda random but sure what difference would my weight in the car do to a couple of pistons with a sense of adventure!?

·
The OtherCian...
612 Posts
QUOTE (Oisin @ Feb 1 2006, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Your starting to worry me now!,

Ya it is kinda random but sure what difference would my weight in the car do to a couple of pistons with a sense of adventure!?

naw if it's random there's probably a combinarion of things, mine was knockin every time I put the foot down...

·
Registered
253 Posts
did you check the diff ib the gearbox a similar thing happened to mine a while back had to get a replacement gearbox not easy to find

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if it was the gearbox wouldnt the steering be shaking and the movement of the car forward be jerkish?

shes gonna have some one look at it now though i think

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
How would the gearbox cause the steering to shake?

It's probably the exhaust anyway, you should just get it in to some garage with a lift and any mechanic with half a brain should be able to tell you what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Geo @ Feb 2 2006, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How would the gearbox cause the steering to shake?

Gearbox bearings like in my gti, after 60mph, ur hands are in a state of disarray!

This is being fixed in a forth night....

QUOTE (Geo @ Feb 2 2006, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's probably the exhaust anyway, you should just get it in to some garage with a lift and any mechanic with half a brain should be able to tell you what is wrong with it.
Im pretty sure its the exhaust, only reason i created this post was because it sounds a bit odd but....
I also left my jack stands in kerry so i cant get under the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts