Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ho hum got my first two points today, got caught doing 80 in a 50 just on the quays after coming out of the phoenix park. Really annoyed but was my own fault, accelerated away for a split second and got caught.

Qn is do i need to inform insurers?

The legality of the whole thing baffles me tho, i asked guard had machine been calibrated and he told me its only calibrated once a year? didnt sound right?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Do not give away any info unless asked to do so, then lie.

Whats the story on asking the officer in question to supply a print out. I thought there was some loophole there.

John

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
QUOTE (cyrus @ Mar 22 2006, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ho hum got my first two points today, got caught doing 80 in a 50 just on the quays after coming out of the phoenix park. Really annoyed but was my own fault, accelerated away for a split second and got caught.

Qn is do i need to inform insurers?

The legality of the whole thing baffles me tho, i asked guard had machine been calibrated and he told me its only calibrated once a year? didnt sound right?

I'd love to know what you can and can't ask & see. They are a law onto themselves !

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
You don't need to tell insurance co about 2 points, just when it gets to 4
(hopefully it doesn't!)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got my first 2 points last thursday on the motorway on the north side of Portlaoise.I lived in Portlaoise for a spell a couple of years ago and thought I was familiar with the usual spots but I passed a cop on a bike doin a speed cheak and was lucky enough to be under the limit but low and behold about 500 yards down the road was another friendly boy in blue hiding in a mondeo.Didnt even get a chance to ask any questions,he was in and out in bout 30 seconds flat.He did ask if it was my own car and when I said yes he complimented me and said fair play, nice car so at least he had taste!

I was sickened but it was my own fault,all in all I think I was lucky to get off with the 2 points,he could have gone to town on me if he was havin a bad day!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
QUOTE (Tony D @ Mar 23 2006, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You don't need to tell insurance co about 2 points, just when it gets to 4
(hopefully it doesn't!)

That's not true. You just have to tell them at renewal time.

In fairness now, EVERYONE knows the guards sit there just past Heuston on the quays

·
Resident Polo Pervert
5,183 Posts
QUOTE (Mark N @ Mar 23 2006, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's not true. You just have to tell them at renewal time.

In fairness now, EVERYONE knows the guards sit there just past Heuston on the quays

Where?

Jasus, do yis Dubs still think nothing exists outside yer county?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
QUOTE Jasus, do yis Dubs still think nothing exists outside yer county

unless its inside the pale they dont want to know

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i rarely venture north of the liffey
i wouldnt sully myself it was just cos i was working out there for the week!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Well folks, tell me this - I've forgotten how many points I've got ? How do I find out ? Is the system computerised yet ?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
QUOTE I've forgotten how many points I've got ?

that sounds bad how many times were you caught???

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
QUOTE (benkenobi @ Mar 23 2006, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that sounds bad how many times were you caught???

Thankfully how many times you're caught & how many points can be completely
different things!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
QUOTE Are they like bonus points

yep tell your insurance company that you have a full collectors card of 12
and see what kind of free gift they give you

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
QUOTE (Mark N @ Mar 23 2006, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In fairness now, EVERYONE knows the guards sit there just past Heuston on the quays

I was very nearly caught there one day a few years back, they didn't stop me but had a good look as I went by
I was afraid they might have took a picture. So I parked up and went back for a look at their equipment...from a distance. I came walking around the corner and they were walking up the street towards me. They so happened to be walking up to where the car was parked so I took a detour and got out of there fairly lively
. No point tempting fate.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
QUOTE (thos @ Mar 23 2006, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>or what to know the dates of expiry ...

I know my first 2 I got were coming back from the circuit of Ireland back in 2003, I had just got the Golf and had forgot I was back in the south, some bollix in cavan, stung me big style, but I dont think they were put onto my licence for another 6 months, as far as I'm concerned they are gone now

·
Registered
347 Posts
QUOTE (PD150 @ Mar 24 2006, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know my first 2 I got were coming back from the circuit of Ireland back in 2003, I had just got the Golf and had forgot I was back in the south, some bollix in cavan, stung me big style, but I dont think they were put onto my licence for another 6 months, as far as I'm concerned they are gone now

theyre always out like flies at rallies catching everyone in the 50km zones

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
QUOTE (PD150 @ Mar 24 2006, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know my first 2 I got were coming back from the circuit of Ireland back in 2003, I had just got the Golf and had forgot I was back in the south, some bollix in cavan, stung me big style, but I dont think they were put onto my licence for another 6 months, as far as I'm concerned they are gone now

Similar story myself. I was caught in June 2003 so in theory, they should be gone in a couple of months but IIRC, the letter didn't arrive until Oct!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts