Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to get the best free anti virus?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
QUOTE (neil @ Mar 6 2006, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyone know where to get the best free anti virus?
This is one of the best I found Clicky and it's free

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks i'll give it a go!

·
Skoda - Simply Clever
1,239 Posts
Avast and AVG are about the best of the free ones as far as I know.

AVG:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

I was using AVG but am now using Avast because its the only one I can get to run on XPx64.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
if you have broadband do a search in google for trend micro housecall. it scans your pc from the internet and is very good

for free antivirus use AVG. the download is at the bottom of the page.

if you still have or think you might have a virus download Stinger. this is a scan but not protection. it should remove the virus

·
Registered
304 Posts
AVG is very good...

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
you can downlaod norton 2006 from limewire for free!.
Or else try microsoft antivirus, that was the best last year. dont you have to change register keys and things yourself with avast?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
forget nortons, it's too heavy on the system.

use avg free or trend micro internet security 2006. you might be able to find a crack code for trend on the net. otherwise it's €40ish for the year.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
QUOTE (Oisin @ Mar 6 2006, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>dont you have to change register keys and things yourself with avast?
No it's all free. After a month they ask you to register the product, but if it's for private use they send you an activation key free. It's just to stop businesses using the service for nothing.
You just download it with no registry changes needed Oisin

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 6 2006, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You just download it with no registry changes needed Oisin
What i mean is the register keys on you computer. There what get changed when a trojan type viruses and things get on your system. You have to manually change them a lot of the time with avast and avg because all they do really well is find them, theyre not so hot at actually solving the problems permanently!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
To be honest I put it on a clean PC and never had a problem with it. I do a scan once a week or so and if it finds anything it gives you the option to dump it or quarintine it. How it all works Oisin is anyones guess

Modern Tecnology huh

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 6 2006, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To be honest I put it on a clean PC and never had a problem with it. I do a scan once a week or so and if it finds anything it gives you the option to dump it or quarintine it. How it all works Oisin is anyones guess

Modern Tecnology huh

Unfortunetly, figuring out that technology and writing better stuff is what Im messing with everyday. (College)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Best av i've used (and i've used nearly all of them) is Kaspersky.........sold with all our new systems.Not a resource hog like Norton.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
been using avg for 2/3 years now and never had a virus it could stop/deal with. maybe i'm lucky but i've no complaints. i'm in and out of customer site day in day out and the laptop is on a different network nearly on a daily basis and is open to a lot more attacks than most and i find avg deals with the crap no bother and doesn't hog the system, considering the laptop i have is carved from stone it's so old

it's more than up to the job of home use imo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts