Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mate is looking to buy this car for his girlfriend.
What would the main things be, to look out for on an English car like this?

http://www.carzone.ie/362905

·
Administrator
7,210 Posts
Should be trouble free with it being so new. Tell him to check the windows to ensure winders are working, feel carpets for water ingress and check that the boot hinges arent stiff. Sometimes the seat belts are slow to retract too.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
one of the main things to check would be the front suspension arms of the car. doubt there'll be anything wrong with them as it new, but worth a look imo.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
I'd agree with getting a HPI check on it. A very high proportion of cars brought into this country from the UK are clocked. Lads buy high-milers cheap in the fleet auctions in the UK and then they reappear as low mileage minters for sale over here

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I have a link on my PC at home that lets you check the basics of any english car. You put in the reg and make and it'll tell you the first date of registration, colour and if road tax is due. It's not a HPI report but it will give you a good base to start from and will tell you if the seller is telling the fundemental truths. I phoned about a few cars that were advertised as 1999 for example, but when I checked they were registered in late December 98! It's a handy little link and best of all it's free.

Will post it up when I get home. Or maybe someone on here knows what it is.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 6 2006, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a link on my PC at home that lets you check the basics of any english car. You put in the reg and make and it'll tell you the first date of registration, colour and if road tax is due. It's not a HPI report but it will give you a good base to start from and will tell you if the seller is telling the fundemental truths. I phoned about a few cars that were advertised as 1999 for example, but when I checked they were registered in late December 98! It's a handy little link and best of all it's free.

I must have a look at that Brian, when you post it up, Cheers

QUOTE (Geo @ Mar 6 2006, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd agree with getting a HPI check on it. A very high proportion of cars brought into this country from the UK are clocked. Lads buy high-milers cheap in the fleet auctions in the UK and then they reappear as low mileage minters for sale over here

I'm going over to look at it today, according to the dealer it has a full VW service history

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
QUOTE (PD150 @ Mar 6 2006, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I must have a look at that Brian, when you post it up, Cheers

I'm going over to look at it today, according to the dealer it has a full VW service history

Yeah but that's only 2 service's on a 23k car ! Plus it may have been wound back to the last service !
HPI is your best bet..did it on mine when i bought it recently and gives you a solid base to work form.

·
Meh
446 Posts
QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 6 2006, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a link on my PC at home that lets you check the basics of any english car. You put in the reg and make and it'll tell you the first date of registration, colour and if road tax is due. It's not a HPI report but it will give you a good base to start from and will tell you if the seller is telling the fundemental truths. I phoned about a few cars that were advertised as 1999 for example, but when I checked they were registered in late December 98! It's a handy little link and best of all it's free.

Stick up that link if you can find it Brian? Cheers

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Passat130 @ Mar 6 2006, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>HPI is your best bet..did it on mine when i bought it recently and gives you a solid base to work form.

How do you do a HPI check again, and how do you pay them?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
VRT is paid on that €25k price, but was looking at VRT website, it will be costing €5932 to VRT it

·
Administrator
7,210 Posts
QUOTE (PD150 @ Mar 6 2006, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>VRT is paid on that €25k price, but was looking at VRT website, it will be costing €5932 to VRT it

Car is too dear in my opinion. better off heading over for one if that is the case. I thought that it was cleared for that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would change the maf meter when ya get it. They're only €82 part exchange.
Also, check the alarm works and the doors lock properly. Kinda hard to explain but the microswitches in the door locks go mad sometimes.

And lastly, go and get it remapped!!!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (PD150 @ Mar 6 2006, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>VRT is paid on that €25k price, but was looking at VRT website, it will be costing €5932 to VRT it

QUOTE (Trevor @ Mar 7 2006, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Car is too dear in my opinion. better off heading over for one if that is the case. I thought that it was cleared for that.

Trev, thats €25k including VRT paid(car cleared).
€5932 is quite high for VRT though
, even if the car is fully loaded

He is trading in his girlfriends 2002 Honda Jazz for it

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
No worries
As the guys have said check the Front Suspension and steering links (Passat has upwards of 18 pieces in the steerign IIRC) Get the HPI done check, for slow clunky windows slow seat belt retraction check the footwells for damp (pollen filter problem) other than that it's just the standard TDI stuff which you know..oh yeah check the heated mirrors...people have a habit of leaving them on and buring out the elements....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts