Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has the same issue -

its a 95 mk 3 - but in the last few weeks the sill just under the window rubber is starting to flake on all 4 doors,
eg, a few inch's above the door handles.

i was thinking of masking the car up and putting some laquer onto it to try add an extra layer of protection, but is there any better solution / fix

·
Administrator
7,210 Posts
QUOTE (dc-mk3 @ Mar 13 2006, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just wondering if anyone has the same issue -

its a 95 mk 3 - but in the last few weeks the sill just under the window rubber is starting to flake on all 4 doors,
eg, a few inch's above the door handles.

i was thinking of masking the car up and putting some laquer onto it to try add an extra layer of protection, but is there any better solution / fix

Are you sure that the paintwork is original? Sounds like a bad respray/paintjob. Is it just one side or all?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Trevor @ Mar 13 2006, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are you sure that the paintwork is original? Sounds like a bad respray/paintjob. Is it just one side or all?

yeah its origional, have had one panel resprayed - front wing, and its happening on all doors,
think the laquer will probably be the best cure, just have to wait for a dry day.

·
Resident Polo Pervert
5,183 Posts
Sounds like inter coat adhesion failure.

The most likely explanation is a Trevor said, a respray and its peeling from the edges. This can happen for a number of reasons, cheap materials, poor surface preparation or too high a temprature in the spray booth at time of application.

This can also happen on original paintwork due to excessive pressure from a power washer

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
This would not happen factory paint.

What I would say happened is someone resprayed the doors without taking off the window rubbers, now the paint is flaking off from the line left at the rubbers.

Don't go near it yourself with lacquer or you'll make a complete and utter shite out of it.

·
Resident Polo Pervert
5,183 Posts
Flatting it down a respraying the sides would be the best fix to be honest, putting lacquer on a flaky / unstable surface wont stop the underlying paint from coming off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'd say its the power washer - so i'll be washing it by hand from now on,

will have a think about getting it fixed, as dont want to be spending too much on a 11 year old car..

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Girlfriends polos the same way, she gave it to her 13 year brother to wash and he used the farm power hose (the one with the ball in the end!) Luckily it was only in two or three small places but it hasnt gotten any worse since the summer!

If it is a power hose mark you have, chances are it would be on the rear and bottom of the doors, (thats where youd have held the power hose closer to the paint eh?!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts