Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Alan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright maybe I can get some advice here !! my MK2 GTI 16v, the oil pressure light started flashing not long after engine start now i checked the oil level thats grand. Now it only happened a few times but when i turn engine off and start again the light is off and stays off. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I have heard of an "oil pressure switch" going which is a €4 part which is kinda what i hope it may be is der any way of checking exactly if its the switch or the pump? Would the VAG COM tell me whats wrong with this?

Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
875 Posts
Vag-com is of no use for this kind of problem. Get the oil pressure checked first. This will tell you if you have an oil pressure problem. If you have the most common cause is worn main and big end bearings or a worn oil pump.

If you have good oil pressure, replace both switch's. One is at the front of the engine on top of the oil filter houseing ( not to be confused with the oil temp switch), and the other is at the back of the cylinder head on the gearbox side.

If this does not cure the light on the dash, then the problem is electrical.

John

·
Registered
551 Posts
On the 16V Corrado (Same engine) both pressure switches are on the oil cooler housing (if you look straight down at the oil filter you are able to see them)

Get a pressure test done anyways just to be sure! Do this very soon as you do not want to run the risk of fupping up the engine

I have had these problems and to me it sounds like your high pressure switch is acting up (because the light was flashing and there was no beeping, but it is possible that the beeper is broken too)

A quick check is to run the engine while looking at the switches, when they are failing you often see oil bubbling up through the spade connection.

Hope this helps

·
Meh
446 Posts
Lads,

Something similar has happened to me recently with my 16v corrado, I only recently had her serviced and shortly after the car had warmed up fully(10-15 miles) the oil warning light would come on and the beeper too, would come on for a few seconds and go off again, this would happen for 2-3 times and then be fine? She's due to go back into the garage again shortly and get it checked out but if someone on here knows what this might be it'll help me get it sorted sooner! The oil level was also fine.

Cheers

Colin

·
Meh
446 Posts
QUOTE (Geo @ Mar 14 2006, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just change both oil pressure senders. For the sake of a tenner it's worth doing anyway.

Thats what i was going to but thought it best to ask here too, just to be sure!!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
C-Mac, is there a chance who ever serviced it decided it needed a new oil pressure switch and put in one from a bigger or smaller engine? if they put one from an 8v in it would have a lower oil pressure state than a 16v. (my uneducated 2cents)

·
Registered
551 Posts
QUOTE (Oisin @ Mar 14 2006, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>C-Mac, is there a chance who ever serviced it decided it needed a new oil pressure switch and put in one from a bigger or smaller engine? if they put one from an 8v in it would have a lower oil pressure state than a 16v. (my uneducated 2cents)

Or the wires could just be the wrong way round, that happened on my one too, gave similar symptoms

·
Meh
446 Posts
QUOTE (Steve @ Mar 14 2006, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Or the wires could just be the wrong way round, that happened on my one too, gave similar symptoms

I'll have to ask them, they didnt say anything though! I can take a look myself and see if anything looks out of place or newly fitted.

Colin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts