Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks just wondering if anyone had some advice on the following situation..

Current car status
Me - 1 x 03 VW Passat 130 Tdi
The boss - 1 x 03 VW Polo 9n 1.2.......

now..her's is a 03 with 40k and she's itching to change since I upgraded to the Passat in December from the Bora..fair enough

I'm doign about 25-30k a year so the diesel is more than warranted.
Do we change hers for a 1.4 1.6 or a diesel golf ? She goes form Potarlington to Naas every day and to Dub once a week to her Mam's..i reckon the 1.4 would be a nice upgrade withour creasing us on Tax ins etc..........looking at a 05 MkV Golf as far as platform goes. SHe's a VW fan as has always had Polo's and loves the VW's. Thought she might go for a Leon but she prefers the Golf's and I can't say that I disagree.

Anybody any opinions ? What's the mpg of a 1.4 golf like for Motorway driving ? Is the 1.6 FSI streets ahead ? Consideration are that we are gettign married in June so changing the passat for an A4 and then a Corrado for me is not really gonna work !

Cheers

Dec

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Stick her in a diesel.....she'll be saving you money so you'll have more to spend on a corrado....
Congratulations on the wedding thing......

·
Registered
304 Posts
Congrats on the upcoming wedding. Best of luck.

I got married last year, and honestly it is a very expensive time, even with a simple wedding the cost of everything adds up. The savings I had evaporated, especially with the honeymoon. But it was worth every penny.
I'd say that buying a car in the same year as the wedding is not a great idea, the last thing that you need is extra debt and if you can at all do not get a bank loan for the wedding.
Enjoy the wedding experience as it only happens once in a lifetime. There will be plenty of time to get a new car later on.

·
The Minister for Hardship!!
4,250 Posts
Congrats on the wedding

Go for a new leon which is better looking imo
Local stealer has one with the cupra kit on it an it gorgous
Leon i think is best because its cheaper and basically the same car

·
Registered
40 Posts
congrats on the wedding lad .i drive mk4 1.4 and at the moment it does around the 38 for the gallon wit alloys .small bit of info might help you it might not.

·
Kevin
2,344 Posts
QUOTE (pdxa4 @ Feb 23 2006, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Enjoy the wedding experience as it only happens once in a lifetime. There will be plenty of time to get a new car later on.

what he said, the wedding is an expensive time and the car you buy may be a compromise because of it.

Best of luck.

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys

Wedding's being expensive is an understatement ! I've been working on putting her off untill after it but I changed mine in December so fair is fair I suppose ! We're in the lucky enough situation where it wouldn't impact to much to upgrade to a 20k car from the Polo. It think it's gonna go on falling over the right car more so than any plan to buy one !

Last night i changed my mind again to the 1.6FSI
just can't decide.........way to long since i drove a Petrol...derv all the way

CHeers

Dec

·
Registered
347 Posts
the 1.6FSI would be way faster than the 1.4(75bhp Vs 115bhp) a middle of the road option could be the non 1.6FSI(100bhp) its a bit cheaper than the FSI

Good luck with the wedding

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to add to the mix i drove a 1.6 Leon at the weekend...
sweet car really like the feel and build ! Ryan's had added the new bodykit with twin pipes..sounded very nice !

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a mk IV 1.4, which I found good on petrol except on the motorway when it was heavy enough, even at 80 mph that engine is revving at well over 4000 rpm and it gets thirsty when it is working that hard!

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Kamikaze @ Feb 27 2006, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had a mk IV 1.4, which I found good on petrol except on the motorway when it was heavy enough, even at 80 mph that engine is revving at well over 4000 rpm and it gets thirsty when it is working that hard!

Still reckon it would be a lot better than her current 1.2 at 80 !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts