Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if you had any advice on what to check out when buying a used octavia vRS ?

Cheers.

·
Registered
406 Posts
QUOTE (Conor S @ Mar 9 2006, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, I was wondering if you had any advice on what to check out when buying a used octavia vRS ?

Cheers.

Not trying to be unhelpful but any MKIV Golf GTI buyers guide would be a good place to start as any issues the Octy has are generaly shared across the VAG family, rattly on startup, coil packs, noisy ARB links etc...

the only Octy issue I can think of off hand might be the seats fraying where the mesh meets the leather

defo worth checking out is www.briskoda.net

Cheers

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Common problems with the Mk4 platorm cars include the following:

Door lock and electric window problems, make sure these all work correctly.

Gearboxes can be troublesome, listen out for any unwanted noise or crunches when changing gears.

As far as I know the 1.8T engines need a timing belt and water pump change at around the 40k mile mark so make sure this has been done or else budget for it.

Coil packs were a problem with them but I think pretty much all of them should be sorted now.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Administrator
7,210 Posts
QUOTE (Geo @ Mar 9 2006, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Common problems with the Mk4 platorm cars include the following:

Door lock and electric window problems, make sure these all work correctly.

Gearboxes can be troublesome, listen out for any unwanted noise or crunches when changing gears.

As far as I know the 1.8T engines need a timing belt and water pump change at around the 40k mile mark so make sure this has been done or else budget for it.

Coil packs were a problem with them but I think pretty much all of them should be sorted now.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Fairly reliable yokes

Its the waterpump impellors that fail. Its driven off the timing belt so as well to change all including tensioners.

Watch out for rear wash jets to fail resulting in the boot/headlining getting soaked. Its just a pipe that falls off. Common on Golf and Octavia.

The first thing I would do with a mk1 Octy RS is fit black carpets

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Trevor @ Mar 9 2006, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fairly reliable yokes

Its the waterpump impellors that fail. Its driven off the timing belt so as well to change all including tensioners.

Watch out for rear wash jets to fail resulting in the boot/headlining getting soaked. Its just a pipe that falls off. Common on Golf and Octavia.

The first thing I would do with a mk1 Octy RS is fit black carpets

Thanks folks, my research continues..

·
mk2vr6 mad&#33;
1,070 Posts
QUOTE (Conor S @ Mar 9 2006, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks folks, my research continues..

Talk to either myself of Gaff. We know the majority of RS' out there.

Let me know if you spot one and I'll probably be able to get its history.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I know a few guys due to trade theirs in, a couple of them next week ie 2 Black ones, also theres a Red one in Mayo. Actually there was another guy who txt me during the week that has a Red one for sale in the Leinster area, a 2002 model. If your interested PM me.

Regarding Timing belts, I thought it was 60k ? Mine is at 48k and it wasn't done, its always had dealers servicing and it was never mentioned, I was also told the 50k one was nothing major. Just Oil and Filters.

·
mk2vr6 mad&#33;
1,070 Posts
QUOTE (Geo @ Mar 9 2006, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Could be 60k, I'm not sure

Dealer told me 60k

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
QUOTE (Gaff @ Mar 9 2006, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know a few guys due to trade theirs in, a couple of them next week ie 2 Black ones, also theres a Red one in Mayo. Actually there was another guy who txt me during the week that has a Red one for sale in the Leinster area, a 2002 model. If your interested PM me.

One of the black ones was traded into Phoneix JFK today, it had an upgraded Sterio if anyone is interested.
The previous owner collected his New Blue one, am I glad I went for Blue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts