Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hows things, Colin here & I bought my first VW recently so figured I'd join up. I'm much more used to Nissan's but needed a frugal daily so a diesel VW was the only option....

I picked up this early Mark V with full history and I couldn't be happier; I was on the look out for a 140bhp model with a 6 speed but this base model with 105bhp was so clean and well maintained I had to get it.... So far I've swapped the bulbs out for some Osram (dipped beam) & Phillips (main beam) & gave it a proper clean. I doubt I will go changing anything in it but I'll probably get some standard 16" VW alloys when the tyres need to be replaced...
Bulbs;

Cleaning (from right to left, wash / de-tar/ wash again / paint renovator / SRP / extra gloss protection);

Result;

And after a bit of rain;

Edit;
I've one little problem with it, the bulb is gone in the passenger side mirror indicator and I don't know how to change it? The owners manual doesn't deal with it and I've searched on here but have only found links to a DIY guide which no longer exists (http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14663&hl=indicator+bulbs)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mossey - I will have a go at the mirror during the week; Does anybody know the type of bulbs required so I don't have to take it all apart twice or will my local VW dealer know / tell me?

Thanks GT TDI

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not much of an update but I got a set of alloys a few months ago, came off an A4 and I only got them because I needed tyres and they were cheaper than new tyres & they came with decent tyres! Didn't like them originally but they have grown on me, need to sort out the centre caps though...

I did consider getting a different rear bumper (Mk VI GTD or Mk V GTI) but havent had the spare cash

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hows things? Congrats on the purchase, bought one myself last week in the same colour.
Going changing the headlight bulbs myself when I get back home, just wondering was it much of a job as i've heard from some people that its fairly awkward getting at one or both of the headlights.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (cian d @ Oct 4 2012, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hows things? Congrats on the purchase, bought one myself last week in the same colour.
Going changing the headlight bulbs myself when I get back home, just wondering was it much of a job as i've heard from some people that its fairly awkward getting at one or both of the headlights.

In the golf? They're a bit awkward but not the worst... I don't look forward to having to change the parking bulbs though....

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (Trial_S15 @ Oct 7 2012, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In the golf? They're a bit awkward but not the worst... I don't look forward to having to change the parking bulbs though....

Dose, I've ordered a full set, really wanna get em in but don't have a whole lot of time (or patience) on my hands.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks Eugene
Nowhere near as nice as yours though...

QUOTE (cian d @ Oct 8 2012, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dose, I've ordered a full set, really wanna get em in but don't have a whole lot of time (or patience) on my hands.

From memory I think the passenger side is a bit more difficult but its manageable even though I don't exactly have small hands... I had parking bulbs to put in too but didn't have the first one out after a couple of minutes so just left it!

Eddie; I did plan on nicer alloys, a Mk VI GTD rear bumper & Mk V GT front bumper but I've spent quite a bit on it lately replacing discs, pads, shocks etc so haven't had the spare cash (it passed 170k miles last week!)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ventolow; yeah that was the plan with the new bumpers.... Hopefully I'll get around to it eventually!

Cian; did it take long? One of my dipped beam bulbs is gone so might replace the parking bulbs this time....

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE Cian; did it take long? One of my dipped beam bulbs is gone so might replace the parking bulbs this time....

Took about 30 mins to do the four headlights, side lights were a bit of a nightmare, bit of patience and brute force. You will more than likely have to take the air box out i'd say, not a huge job but inconvenient all the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (Trial_S15 @ Oct 21 2012, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very nice! The ones I put off fitting are similar so I must throw them in...

Can only really appreciate them in the dark, want to get fog lights in at some stage too, just want to find out if theres much work in wiring them before I buy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.