Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
well lads.
i got a DAS6 kestrel polisher for my birthday there the other week (the guys at cleancar.com sorted me out very well )

so i finally decided to put it to use..!
now this was my very first time to use one of these, to be honest i only ever polished a car once, so this was a big step for me

anyway before i used it on my daily driver or my project car i decided to try it out on the fathers old car, just incase anything went wrong

i was useing the polish that came with the DA, its the menzerna polish, i was told its very abrasive so i took it handy.

heres a pic of what i had to work with:

as you can see someone tried something all ready but i dont no what or who did it..

i started off by given the bonnet a small wash with just a sponge and some warm water. then i marked out a patch, approx 2.5ftx2.5ft, for me to work on (hard to find a patch with paint that isnt flakeing
)

with a few tips i got of mossy and brian feeney, i decided to give it a go..

heres my first attempt with the heavy cut orange pad and the heavy cut polish(power finish) i had the polisher at 1 to spreed and the 3-4 to work it in, i think i didnt spread it right and i had the pad to wet but then again what would i no

so then on my second attempt i put the polisher on 2 speed to spreed and then 4 to work it in. came out better:

after that i let it sit for a good 30 to 45 minutes( i wasnt sure how i had to leave it so i just took a guess )
then i came at it with the medium cut green pad and the medium cut polish, i had the polisher set to 2 to spreed and then 4 to work it in and then i put it to 6 to give it a good doing, worked out well
i also used a microfibre furry hand pad cus there was still some left on the bonnet and i didnt want to go to hard with the polisher.

then i left that for an other 30 to 45 minutes.
after that it was the final cut
so i took out the finishing cut black pad and the finishing cut polish. once again i had it at 2 to spreed the polish and then i put it to 4 to work it in and then again to 6 to give it a good go over, and then a wipe down with the microfiber furry hand pad.

so i then took off the masking tape and heres what she looked like

i was really happy with how well it turned out.
was not expecting it to turn out that well at all, really pleased with the polish aswell

so i think i learned abit today anyway but alot has to be learned yet id say..

all C&C welcome, please tell what i missed out on or did arse ways? tis the only way to learn

thanks again to cleancar for making this possible..

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trust me its the polisher not me

i would recommend getting one of these to everyone
and so easy to use a 10year old could do it.

·
Banned
389 Posts
If you didnt look at the stone chips its like a re-spray!

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
You may do the whole feckin yoke now Paddy.

Nice job so far dude.

Are you going at Pablo with it soon??.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thats unreal...doubt you done anything arse ways to be honest it looks top class. would love to see the whole car done with before and after pics. as one of the lads said there its like a respray.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (keith-mk5 @ Apr 29 2011, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you didnt look at the stone chips its like a re-spray!

jes, thanks that means alot

QUOTE (DonalM @ Apr 29 2011, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You may do the whole feckin yoke now Paddy.

Nice job so far dude.

Are you going at Pablo with it soon??.

the father will prob want me to do the whole car id say, hes delighted with how well it turned out aswell

oh yes i will
just wanted to try it out first to see if i could do it right

QUOTE (flynny-8 @ Apr 29 2011, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats unreal...doubt you done anything arse ways to be honest it looks top class. would love to see the whole car done with before and after pics. as one of the lads said there its like a respray.

thanks man, once again that really means alot

in person ofcourse its alot better but im really happy now with all the good feedback

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Oisin @ Apr 29 2011, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any chance you could do the other half by hand and see the difference?

thats not a bad idea.

i might just do that next week

·
Dublin FTW&#33;
9,391 Posts
There are two speeds which are of use on a dual action polisher, speed 2 to spread the polish and then crank it up all they way to work the polish

There is no need to leave it for any length of time between passes of the machine, you said you left it 35 mins? As soon as you work the polish until it's nearly
gone clear take a microfibre cloth and remove the residue straight away. You can start polishing again right away.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Neilo @ Apr 29 2011, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are two speeds which are of use on a dual action polisher, speed 2 to spread the polish and then crank it up all they way to work the polish

There is no need to leave it for any length of time between passes of the machine, you said you left it 35 mins? As soon as you work the polish until it's nearly
gone clear take a microfibre cloth and remove the residue straight away. You can start polishing again right away.

thanks man, didnt know that and i just wanted to be sure
but thatl help when iv to do the full car

@ mo: yeah man, its the starter kit from cleancar.com,
it comes with a krestel DAS6.
a backing pad.
a heavy cut pad, medium cut pad and finishing pad.
it also came with the menzerna in heavy, medium and a finish. three small bottles that id say would last ages!!
a cool little bag.
and a nice receipt for €160

theres a pic on my facebook page of the kit. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set...100001773235143

and thanks mo

·
Dublin FTW&#33;
9,391 Posts
QUOTE (wot @ Apr 29 2011, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When you get used to it you'll be cranking it up to 12 and leaning on it. Keep up the good work.

That's just bad advice, the weight of the machine is enough to place on the pad. Not sure on the kestrel but on my dual action if you lean on it hard enough the pad will stop spinning as it's not direct driven.
No rotation means little or no polishing.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well thankfully it only gos up to 6

i might do what oisin said and do it by hand

thanks for the comment wot

·
Premium Member
3,798 Posts
Nice work Paddy things will only improve in time.

Few pointers,

1. Not much clarity after the heavy cut? I know it was only first pass etc, did you work the polish in fully?
IE until it became clear?
2. as Neil said, its only DA so don't be afraid once you've it spread fully to crank her up full speed to "break down" the polish. Once you're comfortable with feedback from the machine at that speed, I know I was clumsy / nervous at full bore for a while at the start.
3. I'm taking Shane's comment as both joking yet serious, a little pressure helps I find, especially on the vertical panels (doors etc) or whilst doing slow heavy correction. You will also find yourself being more confident and forceful once you're more accustomed to the machine, IE the first few times you'll feebly guide the machine across the paint, but after a while, you'll whizz it back and forth!

4. No need to wait more than you're comfortable and ready to start again between polishes, you remove the polish as soon as you've worked it in with the MF cloth.
5. I know its only a test panel, but don't forget to wax / seal the paint afterwards

6. It's maybe best to start with the medium range and see if that will give the correction you want. I know on my GF's mk3 (original red) it wasn't as badly faded but the medium passed over twice was a satisfactory correction, in short don't go straight for the sledge when a few blows of the lump hammer will do!

and again, fair play lad, looking forward to Pablo all shiney!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.