Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well lads,

Has anyone any feedback on the new Passat? Have heard a few not so satisfying stories about them.......

Cheers,
trevor

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've heard a few stories as well.

It seems to be a big improvement on the B5/B5.5 model especially in the handling department, and the interior is pretty nice as well.
But it still is a new car and it can have teething problems.

·
Kevin
2,344 Posts
my bro has one in black and its a fine car, it has huge a presence when you see it in the flesh, reminds me of the new E-Class Merc in a lot of ways, fit, finish and build quality have been taken to a higher level, it makes the old model look quiet pedestrian by comparison.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
So whats the rumours going around ? Wouldnt mind one myself. Real classy looking machine when it has the right extras. Why they sell cars like this with poxy hubcaps in this day an age Ill never understand.

Actually, I do know that VRT in this fucking country means a lot of extras that would be normal spec on the continent are optional add ons cause the manufactures need to recoup their money some way.

·
Resident Polo Pervert
5,183 Posts
QUOTE (kvw @ Jan 31 2006, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>my bro has one in black and its a fine car, it has huge a presence when you see it in the flesh, reminds me of the new E-Class Merc in a lot of ways, fit, finish and build quality have been taken to a higher level, it makes the old model look quiet pedestrian by comparison.

New E Class? Sure that model is about to be facelifted, nothing new about it.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
I have heard that the electric power steering system is giving trouble, but as I say I have no experience of them myself so would take that with a pinch of salt.

Call me old fashioned but I'm always a bit wary of cars that seem to have too much pointless gadgety electronic stuff on them. Eg the parking brake on the new passat (it isn't a handbrake any more just a button, what the fuck is wrong with a normal handbrake?)

In my opinion that's just one more thing to fuck up on it just when the car is out of warranty and cost a fortune to put right.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
QUOTE (Geo @ Jan 31 2006, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Eg the parking brake on the new passat (it isn't a handbrake any more just a button, what the fuck is wrong with a normal handbrake?)

I asked that question in a VW garage, and I was told it is to save space

·
Registered
270 Posts
QUOTE (Geo @ Jan 31 2006, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Call me old fashioned but I'm always a bit wary of cars that seem to have too much pointless gadgety electronic stuff on them. Eg the parking brake on the new passat (it isn't a handbrake any more just a button, what the fuck is wrong with a normal handbrake?)

In my opinion that's just one more thing to fuck up on it just when the car is out of warranty and cost a fortune to put right.

Must say I'm in full agreement on this.

My mate who is the local VAG dealer up this way ain't too keen on all the current electronic gizmos either, problems waiting to happen he says.

Imagine the torture of trying to find the fault if the roof stops working on an A4 Cabrio. According to him the software will only find the area the problem is in & will sometimes point you totally in the wrong direction.

·
Administrator
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reliable and bullet proof residuals. Can't say the same for the Passat on the residual front going by what i am getting offered on our current spotless 02 TDI comfortline.

·
Registered
304 Posts
QUOTE (Trevor @ Feb 1 2006, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So lads what do ye think of the Toyota Avensis??

Pretty solid car, has a good diesel engine.
The estate version seems to be ok...

But I do not like the dash, and it is pretty small inside...

A bit blah really, I'd rather have a VAG product instead...

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
QUOTE (Trevor @ Feb 1 2006, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So lads what do ye think of the Toyota Avensis??

"Probably the best built cars in the world"

·
Resident Polo Pervert
5,183 Posts
QUOTE (BrendanM @ Feb 1 2006, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>According to him the software will only find the area the problem is in & will sometimes point you totally in the wrong direction.

Thats a huge problem with cars based on can bus systems, it can be extremley difficult to pin point a problem as the diagnostic computer can only analyse the information it is given, if thats nonsenseical to start with there will be no way to make sense of it.

We had a new Merc with issues once, the can bus system went a little crazy because the rear "sam" module was faulty which is essentially a computer in the boot that talks to the other computers in the car telling them what to do, so you'd switch the radio on, and the cars lights would go on instead amoung other things

This was a brand new unregistered car
Took Mercedes nearly 3 weeks to trace the fault.

·
Registered
270 Posts

A bit bland looking methinks.

Never did like the dashes & interiors in Toyotas.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

yawn. drove one a while back and it was uneventful to drive to say the least.

QUOTE (pdxa4 @ Feb 1 2006, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pretty solid car, has a good diesel engine.

i heard they were poor, burning oil and the vvti is loosing water. apparently toyota are replacing engines like they're going out of fashion

1 - 20 of 29 Posts