Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know of such an engine in need of a home. while i'm at it can anyone tell me which engines will and won't fit, i keep hearing about kr this and ke that. truth is i haven't a F-C about engine types and codes.

also, how are the volkspare type re-builts regarded. the mechanic tells me that they are expensive and they are never quite right after they have been re-built and that he has never heard of one doing more than about 50k after being finished. anyone have an opinion/ experience on these??

·
Registered
875 Posts
Don't know much about the VW rebuilds, but if I built an engine and it only lasted 50k, I'd be embarrased. Problem usually caused by doing it on the cheep. Even if your not going to re-bore the engine it should be professionally honed at least. Replace any worn valve guide's, and worn tappets. Get all valves and seat's cut and lapped. Replace main and big bearing's and an oil pump.
I know the KR can be quite expensive to re-build, but if you buy a secondhand one it's going to be over 10 years old and lots of miles on it.

If yours is a 16V Mk 2 GTi it is a KR engine.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts