Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, NCT this morning in the usual place in Fonthill.
I'll just say at this point that I had bought the car over six months ago with no test. So ran it through in Fonthill.
They tested it no problem and failed it on the handbrake. No biggie, fixed it and ran it through again. Pass, happy days!

Back to this morning...Paid for test and went upstairs and instantly knew something was wrong as I could see my car being reversed back out the door.

The reason....the car was too low!
I explained to the chap that it was tested there not 6 months ago and why can't he do it no? His only answer was "I don't know".
I asked for the manager then and he bullshit away saying the AA were in and they're refusing all low cars. He too never gave me a proper answer as to why it was tested before and not now. He said my chassis was too low to the ground which is not true. (Pic below) Old pics but you get the idea
It's a corrado with a 4" spoiler on the front.

Even the woman on the desk was a snotty c***t!

So plan is to take off the spoiler and bring it to a different test centre.

Deep breath and rant over.

Old pics, didin't have the germans on.

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
sounds like they might have had hassle from damaging a low car before.

Last time i put mine through the couldnt get it onto the rollers so did the brake test outside. They were careful trying to get it onto the rollers and when they realised they couldnt without it bottoming out they had no problems driving around it and doing it outside.

What has the AA got to do with the NCT?

·
VAGittarian
419 Posts
QUOTE (Carden @ Apr 13 2011, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What has the AA got to do with the NCT?

They're one & the same-Ar5ehole5 Associated

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Bring your car to Ballymun or greenhills. Manager up in Fonthill is a dope, he failed my 88 car because it had stad stickers on my reg plate.

Pre 91 cars are exempt to the ruling he failed me on. Brought it to Ballymun and they passed it as it was.

·
Sam D
1,707 Posts
i'm putting coils into the golf today, nct Tuesday. Needs a hub bearing so might as well fit the coils now too.

i have to leave it high for the test so, ya diarmuid i heard about that 100mm thing too.

if i get her alignment done high will it affect the geometry when i lower the coils when she's passed test?

·
&#39;Black Balled&#39; member
5,500 Posts
is the car on coilovers? would you not raise it up a tad to do the test??

It'd be peace of mind; they always seem in a mega rush those lads and rip the car on and off the rollers; years ago I sent a relative up to nct centre (as i was at work) with a mk3 Golf that was well low to test; seemingly doing the rear brake test, they slapped rear of the car and therefore the bottom of the tank off the floor and knock out the fuel pump; the car cut out and refused to restart they refunded the test fee pushed the car out, denying any responsibility and threatened clamping/removal if the car wasnt removed by 5.30 that evening...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jaysus!!!^^^^

No, the car's on a set of matched shocks and springs and to be honest the car handles really well on them.
I'm just going to take off the chin spoiler because that's the lowest part. The car's not low at all!

·
John - Friends with girls who live on Draycott rd&
3,429 Posts
get it in writing or it doesn't count..........tell them you need it to prove it to gardai that they are refusing to test you car

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be honest I don't want to waste any more time with Fonthill.
It's not the first time they have screwed me around, this just put the icing on the cake.
Last time

·
Go Big Or Go Home
7,890 Posts
QUOTE (draycottgirlz @ Apr 13 2011, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>get it in writing or it doesn't count..........tell them you need it to prove it to gardai that they are refusing to test you car

i would have asked for the same! in writing or it didnt happen.,

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is because of a lad on Dtd got his Dc2 tested there 2 weeks ago and they damaged his exhaust and he is trying to get them to buy him a brand new €400 manifold and the Aa have been hired by the Rsa to inspect Nct complaints.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
They damaged my nephew's exhaust when his mk3 was standard height.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I was under the impression that the AA do all the calibrating for the test machines. This may explain their involvement. Get it somewhere else.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Right, just got this email from the nct customer service department...

Dear David

Thank you for your email.
The vehicle needs a clearance of at least 100mm (4 inches) to use the test equipement.
I hope that this answers your query.
Regards

Peter.

Hope this helps lad.

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
QUOTE (Thescone @ Apr 14 2011, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The vehicle needs a clearance of at least 100mm (4 inches) to use the test equipement.

But the only test equipment they need any sizeable amount of clearance for is the rollers for the brake test, and they can do that out in the car park with that weight box thing, same as they are supposed to do for 4wd vehicles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.