Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a few decent pics at the weekend !
Still needs a proper clean and polish though.................and it's a 130 despite only the red I !

Things to be done are to get rid of the massive tax and ins disc holder !(anybody know where to get a nice small one ?) and get a full polish sorted ! Also want a nice tidy boot spoiler at some stage...something like the one fitted to the A4's would be nice...or Dirty Diesel's M tech one !

·
Registered
284 Posts
Savage looking bus. Nice and low.
Just get a black tax disc holder and it won't stand out. It will have to be the same size as the discs wont get smaller.

Looked very well when you were driving behind me yesterday at the meet.

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Stan @ Feb 27 2006, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looked very well when you were driving behind me yesterday at the meet.

Wasn't at the meet ! I was at the match !

As for the holder just want a double black one to tuck in the corner out of the way...no nct untill next year so I'll worry about that disc then !

·
It&#39;s Michael for fecks sake&#33;
1,779 Posts
Was it a factory mistake the red i? Or did you want people to think you have a very fast 100

·
It&#39;s Michael for fecks sake&#33;
1,779 Posts
QUOTE (Passat130 @ Feb 27 2006, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>it's just the way it came !
Apparently in the UK the dealers put in the TDI badges on themselves, not sure about here.
Might change it at some stage !

That would worry me, id make sure it did come with the 130 engine

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
QUOTE (Passat130 @ Feb 27 2006, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I defo has the 130 engine !
Ask the starlet Turbo on the N7 this morning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nice one,those starlets around local realy p*ss me off!!!! the little things have to go over speed bumps at 10mph!!!! thats the only chance i get to pass then!!
nice car look forward to seein it!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
QUOTE (Passat130 @ Feb 27 2006, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I defo has the 130 engine !
Ask the starlet Turbo on the N7 this morning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you sure it was a GT Turbo??? I'm no fan of any of that jap stuff (in fact I hate the way the car scene has gone in this country, and it's mostly due to Max Power & the availability of Jap imports) but he should have caned you...I would have thought. Those GT Turbo's had adjustable boost and are supposed to be quicker than a Glanza.

I have a remapped 130 Golf and I wouldn't fancy my chances against one after seeing one of them sticking with a mates 218 BHP Impreza Turbo. I got the shock of my life when I saw it, then again maybe it had a few tweeks.

I'd like to think the Golf would be a nice wee bit quicker than the Passat considering the weight difference. It would be similar weight to an A4 and myself and my housemate had a wee dice pre-remap and he couldn't stay with me at all. Lost a savage amount of ground.

If you can roast GT Turbo's then that's an unbelievably quick Passat you have!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I know Geo, I couldn't believe it either. Everytime we pulled out to overtake he was right on our ass. Granted he was losing a little ground, but only a very little. Maybe it had major engine work done, I dunno.

What I do know is my Golf wouldn't have stood a chance against this one.

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never said i roasted him..just gave him a fright....
A Daddy wagon that he had to push very hard to beat..........was just a laugh....had a rolling start on him and it was downhill
the weight was an advantage

He toasted me in the long run ! Need a remap now as well......

anyway i thought they were just 130 bhp as standard ??

·
Registered
270 Posts
QUOTE (Passat130 @ Feb 27 2006, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Never said i roasted him..just gave him a fright....
A Daddy wagon that he had to push very hard to beat
anyway i thought they were just 130 bhp as standard ??
Great expression

QUOTE anyway i thought they were just 130 bhp as standard ??
Which the Golf or the GT Turbo?

Golf was 130 pre remap. Think GT Turbo's were 139 BHP (open to correction on this though )but they defo had adjustable boost.

Get a remap, you won't be disappointed. The guy I used really knows his stuff. I did some amount of research trawling the various forums before I went for him. Well cheaper than everyone else too. It's a custom re-map as well, not an "off the shelf" map.

·
Registered
270 Posts
QUOTE (Passat130 @ Feb 27 2006, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>4EFTE Toyota Starlet GT Turbo
Displacement: 1331CC
5 Speed Manual or Automatic
Turbocharged CT-9A
BHP: [email protected]
TORQUE: [email protected]
CR: 8:2:1
DOHC
Where did you get your map done ???

Corrected I am

I got it done by Steven at OBD Autotune. They're located in Ballymena but he met me in Lisburn.

I looked into Revo with Martin in Westward Eng., Upsolute with Peter at Logic Automotive in Dublin, Torquetronix in Belfast, Turbotech in Bray and OBD Autotune. And believe me it's worth doing your homework as I came across one horror story relating to one of the above.

Steven really knows his stuff and is a top bloke. He went through the whole process with me and explained what he was doing. He downloaded the file from my ECU and made alterations to the file. There's 122 different maps in the PD ECU and he made alterations to 7 of them. There's maps for everything, torque curves, boost, fueling, various sensors etc etc. He had to go through each of the 122 maps looking at a 3D graph of each one to pick out the 7 that he was looking for. He then made alterations to these maps. In one map there was like a step in the torque curve which he smoothed out as this was a bit of a flat spot.

He also showed me how he could change the fuel feed at various revs. You know the way that it will start dying off after 3,500 RPM. This is partly because there's less fuel getting through and it was visible that the percentages were getting less & less approaching the red line. This acts like a limiter, if there's no power there then people will change gear. He changed the values so that it will pull strong till 4,100 RPM, he said he often decreases the values nearer 5,000 RPM to save the engine and his reputation. So you'll basically hit a brick wall at 5,000 RPM.

He then uploaded the altered file. He said how it can take upto 800 miles for the new map to "settle in". There is no extra smoke and he assured me that a good map will have no more smoke than standard.

What I liked about Steven is that he won't overdo things. He told me that the previous night that he mapped a new TDi 105 BHP Caddy and the guy told him to increase the boost as much as possible that he wasn't worried about the consequences & reliability issues. Steven said that he increased it, but just to a safe amount. Said that if it eventually stops boosting and the turbo goes that it will just end up getting him a bad reputation, as the guy will fail to remember what he said about turning up the boost as much as possible and not being worried about the consequences. And as Steven said, reputation is all he has. When put on the rollers they got 155.2 BHP from the Caddy.

While he was mapping my car a guy rang who had his HDI 206 remapped by Dave Wishart at Torquetronix in Belfast. Since getting it done his fuel economy has plunged and it's smoking like a train. He wanted Steven to book him in to take a look at it. It's not boosting properly and Steven reckons the Turbo is on it's way out as a result of bad mapping. He mentioned one particular guy whom he suspects alters just two of the maps, fuel & boost, and he reckons something similar could be the cause of the problem with the 206.

He also explained all about Tuning Boxes and the workings of them. Basically all they do is at a certain RPM they say gimme more fuel, gimme more fuel which is why the power comes in with such a burst. He said you'll get loads of black smoke as half the fuel is being thrown out the exhaust unburnt.

I've only put about 150 miles on the car since getting it done but it pulls so much stronger, 5th gear is unreal, it just keeps pulling. I'm really looking forward to going up against a GTi now. Steven said I'm getting maximum benefit cos I'm still running on 15's. I have 18's sitting in the garage which I was gonna put on at the weekend but decided against it for a wee while. I will do eventually though.

All in all I'm dead happy with the service received and the price is way cheaper than any other map available. I can PM you contact details and price if you like. He also said that if I take a trip upto Ballymena some Sat. that he'll throw the car on the rollers at no extra cost.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
Nice passat there i have a red D and I lying around PM me if you are interested ill try route it out - no charge to a forum member.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
nice looking passat very grown up and serious looking,
it has that ganster dangerous look about it a bit menecing very cool

1 - 20 of 24 Posts