Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

this was my 1967 beetle that i built a few years ago, it had a watercooled mk2 scirocco gti engine in it, an I.R.S. conversion with 1303s gearbox, it had porsche 914 rear disks and dropped spindles with 1500 beetle disks on the front with talbot callipers, it had bugpack antirollbars, transmission straps and pollybushings wherever possible and koni adjustable suspension. i welded new sills and doorpillars in to it and a steel sunroof from a 1303s, it got n.o.s. bonnet decklid and front wheelwell, i never finished it as i sold it to buy my golf rallye

·
Registered
969 Posts
Nice list of parts gone into it, bet your sorry you couldn't keep it.

A friend of mine had an aircooled one a few years ago with the body bolted off it, he used it as a buggy for arsing around in with a frame madeup to support the steering wheel and a can of petrol beside him to keep her fed with juice
, was a quick yoke too.

I remember seeing in one of Jeremy Clarksons' books that he reckoned the Beetle was the no.1 stupid car.
What was he on??? They're cool!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Crazy looking bug. I remember seeing a similar one in Volksworld years ago. I bet it surprised lots of people with the GTi engine

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
it used wind the speedo off the clock in 3rd and i never had the balls to try a top speed run(thats probably why im still alive)

it sits in a field now, painted black, with a diesel audi 80 engine stuck in the ass

·
Registered
969 Posts
Imagine one of those being a diesel, strange things do happen...

·
Oh Glenn, you nasty!
2,931 Posts
QUOTE (JMS @ Dec 21 2005, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Imagine one of those being a diesel, strange things do happen...

It was expeimented with in the factory in the 40's or 50's.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
it was 5 but i converted it to 4 so i could have 4 wheel disks and fit the sprintstars

i did think about buying it back and putting in my spare g60 engine but i want to live for a few more years

·
Administrator
7,210 Posts
Ah GKI 48. A looney machine. I remember "borrowing" it one day and ended up going sideways around a few bends in the wet.

I was delighted when Ronan sold it as I didnt fancy being an only child

·
Kevin
2,344 Posts
QUOTE (JMS @ Dec 21 2005, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Imagine one of those being a diesel, strange things do happen...

there'sa guy in armagh with an audi 80 1.9 TDI lump in his bay window camper, the spare wheel cover on the front panel is actually the rad

how'd you work this in the bug Ronan?

·
Registered
170 Posts
WOW a Scirocco engine in the back of a beetle - the mind boggles. Must be a bit handy with the welder Ronan - you don't do any odd jobs outside your own stuff I suppose?

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i moved the bulkhead to use the space above the gearbox, i had the rad in the back with some big mofo fans, it ran cool enough too without them on. the engine lid was on stand off hinges to clear the cambelt

@alfaguy i dont really have the time! flat out

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it sits in a field with an audi 80 td engine in its ass, no idea where the owner is i havent seen him in 3 years

·
Plane
3,414 Posts
''Im looking for a bug, something cheap to play with!''

Try crabs!

But they usually come from playing with something cheap!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts