Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok one for the tech lads here im thinking of buying one of the following MP3 players, i currently have a few different mp3 players with smaller memory, the PSP, my sony mobile phone with a mp3 player my laptop etc that all have tracks, what i want ot do is put them all on 1 player and feck the rest out

anyhew im aasking does anybody have any opinions or eithere of the following players good or bad, there expensive so dont want ot waste my money,

1. the creative zen vision M 30gb with video and radioi like this one because it also has the radio.
2. the 30gb ipod this one is handy because it can be used with the car stero and there are so many accesories for it,

cheers all
b

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm kinda biased in this debate as I work for one of the companies mentioned so dont wnat to get in too deep, but I will say is that the Creative player will also play WMA files which are similar quality to MP3 but smaller allowing you to fit more on it (I think there are hacks for allowing WMA on ipods now though), also the Vision:M recently one BEST of CES and BEST of CES MP3/Video

http://www.creative.com/ces/

as for Car stereo comaptibility and 3.5 to RCA should work if not, plenty of new HUs have 3.5 jack in now

now Ive siad my piece

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
if your going to spend that much money on an mp3 player, have a look at the Archos range. They have all the features of the ipod, without the hassle of itunes. plus they have encoders for ripping stuff straight from tv, radio, dvd, cd etc...
Dixons/currys and pcworld all stock them.

Main thing to watch for is battery life. outta the 2 you have there, id be swinging towards the zen!

·
Registered
406 Posts
oh yeah forgot about the DivX Zen can used as a portable vid player connecting straight to any TV, looks really well too...

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE I'm kinda biased in this debate as I work for one of the companies mentioned so dont wnat to get in too deep, thats what i want you to do fivepint i want to make sure i get the right one, ive being reading reviews on the net the last week, and im being swayed towards the creative,

QUOTE 3.5 to RCA should work if not, plenty of new HUs have 3.5 jack in now
what is this 3.5 to RCA that you speak off, sorry for the ignorance

·
Registered
406 Posts
hehe I dont wann get flamed for being biased

to be honest Apple make some lovley players so the only way other can compete is with spec, more for your money

the Vision:M has gotten great reviews worldwide even Stuff and T3 mags rate it highly, I know our Test engineers would be happy to part with their own cash for them too,

that siad there are plenty of other asian manufactuers doing the same... but I think the vision:M is a better all rounder

as for the 3.5 jack thats just a headphone jack which, with the right cable, can be used to plug into the RCA sockets ( CD changer) on some head units, if they support, basically it means with a wee bit of graft you can hide a 3.5 jack cable in the glove compartment and plug in the player when in the car IYSWIM

newer Head units (toyota aygo and plenty of after market) have a direct 3.5 jack to 3.5 jack at the front which makes it alot easier

·
Registered
406 Posts
oh yeah get yourself into Peats or Harvey Normans, they both have our players on display and the fruit, most of the bigger retailers will have em too, see them in the flesh will help

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've a Creative Zen 30gb..........performed faultlessly for the 2 years i've had it.Always found Creative gear to be top notch.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers fivepint for the info

looks like ill be opting for the creative unless any arguments in favour of the ipod can be made,
ive be in to currys and peats to look at each piece this has been a month long shop and research (
(some times i reckon im half cavan when it comes to spending) to be honest in the looks department there isnt much difference,

QUOTE as for the 3.5 jack thats just a headphone jack which, with the right cable, can be used to plug into the RCA sockets ( CD changer) on some head units, if they support, basically it means with a wee bit of graft you can hide a 3.5 jack cable in the glove compartment and plug in the player when in the car IYSWIM
my head unit does have the 3.5jack so when i ask in the shop for that cable is it just "a 3.5jack cable"
i dont want to sound like a tree when im in the shop asking

·
Registered
406 Posts
another good thing is "IF" there ever was an issue with the player Creatives European HQ is in Dublin

ask for a headphone jack to headphone jack both male connectors, failing that go to maplin they will defo have it...

good luck

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd recommend the iPod, it a wonderful device and is simple to use...

iTunes is a very good program...Key thing is to transfer your cd's into mp3 format and not aac, it will give better flexibility in the future should you change your player or use a different device.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
very good kev

i plumped for the creative in the end and havent looked bach since,
its a great little machine, music pics and vids, i have nearly put all the cd collection on to it
i connect it to the car, surround sound system in the house, use it going to work in the morning to
listen to the radio, its all good

1 - 14 of 14 Posts