Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with a little problem i am having. Yesterday i fitted a pipercross air filter onto my mkv golf,now as you all know this means i had to take of the plastic engine cover which also incorporated the main air intake leaving eveything exposed so to speak.can i buy a universal rocker cover to fit over the exposed parts yet still leave me with the room to keep the new air filter?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,thanking you in advance

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Just go with a k+n panel filter!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was told i couldnt get 1 to fit the MKV if you know of anywhere id be very grateful,as it stands deres a lovely little "hum" coming coming off her but i do not want to damage anything etc. im no tech head so id rather jus get it done professsionally, the bloke who put the existing filter in said there wouldn be any problems.
Just thought id put it out here and see what you all think???

·
Registered
270 Posts
QUOTE (Flanders @ Feb 5 2006, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i was told i couldnt get 1 to fit the MKV

K&N may not make an induction kit for it as yet but neil said get a K&N panel filter, which is just a replacement filter that goes in the existing airbox.

Be careful with the induction kit as those air flow meters are very sensitive.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can any1 tell me where i could get the Panel filter?
dis is prob de biggest "boy racer" comment ever but
i like the hum i get off the existing filter i have.am i goin to lose
this if i get a panel filter on it?
plus with the rocker cover off @ the minute am i going to
damage anything?

[/quote]

@ Brendan,can you explain this to me a little bit more?

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Just to clarify that it's not the rocker cover that you have off the car at the moment. If you did you would definitely be doing a lot of damage. It's just the plastic cover so shouldn't be a problem to leave it off.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im just a little worried see im not a technical head @ all so i DO NOT want to damage anything needlessly
after spending 22k on her.can i get something made up just to cover the spark plug casings and wiring etc.>??

·
Registered
270 Posts
QUOTE (Flanders @ Feb 6 2006, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Be careful with the induction kit as those air flow meters are very sensitive.

GSF on the Nangor road should have them or any motor accessory/alloy wheel place should stock them.

Yeh you'll lose the induction roar if you put the airbox back in. You could always drill the airbox on the wing side before you put it back into the car-this might give a bit of a hum as it'll probably be getting more cold air, not sure if it'll give the "hum" though!

If you keep the induction kit make sure it's not soaking up any heat from the engine. Engines don't like warm air.

I'm not sure about the Mk 4 petrol engines but the air flow metres on the Mk 4 TDI engines were notorious for failing. Both of my TDI's had to get replacement MAF's (Mass Airflow Metre), between €85-100 exchange from the main dealer. If the MAF goes it's like driving an SDI.

QUOTE (Flanders @ Feb 6 2006, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>im just a little worried see im not a technical head @ all so i DO NOT want to damage anything needlessly
after spending 22k on her.can i get something made up just to cover the spark plug casings and wiring etc.>??
That's just the engine cover I think you're talking about. The plastic thing with the VW badge is it???
If that's what it is then no you won't cause any problems by leaving it off. It's only purpose is to cover everything up, make it look all tidy.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
QUOTE (Flanders @ Feb 6 2006, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>can any1 tell me where i could get the Panel filter?
dis is prob de biggest "boy racer" comment ever but
i like the hum i get off the existing filter i have.am i goin to lose
this if i get a panel filter on it?
plus with the rocker cover off @ the minute am i going to
damage anything?

The Panel filters are definately a better choice for your car.
Putting after-market induction kits really don't make much of
a difference on a 1.4 VW engine........might give you a bit of
a waaaaaaa, but that's about it.

The standard ones are well
designed & won't cause any damage to your engine.
The standard one takes cold air from outside the car & helps
keep your engine cool, but the after market jobbies take hot air
from under your bonnet & feed that into your engine, effectively
slowing your car down as engines work better with cold air, not
warm air.

If you drive a Honda with a big waw box on it & a massive induction
kit, when the vtec cuts in at what ever revs, you'll get a great waaaa
from both under the bonnet & from out behind....
all wonderful stuff if you're into all that Jap sh1te!

Anyway, the long & the short of it, panel filters are smaller/thinner
filters that fit into your original filter box to replace OEM filter.
Stick with the OEM or get a panel filter or you'll cause your new
'06 some harm

Stick back on the plastic cover too, looks better......that's my advice to ya!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@ Brendan you wouldnt have a number for that place GSF? i would bring it to a VW dealer but i was warned if any VW dealers see any after market parts on the car thay will deem the warranty null and void!!!NOt good @ all.
Yea its the VW cover that says 1.4 on it,it covers all the relay cables (i think) and the base for the spark plugs!

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
QUOTE (Flanders @ Feb 6 2006, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>you wouldnt have a number for that place GSF? i would bring it to a VW dealer but i was warned if any VW dealers see any after market parts on the car thay will deem the warranty null and void!!!NOt good @ all.

GSF - 01-4606062

You're car's a 06, so you should let the engine 'run-in' for a little first before you
start making any alterations to anything under the bonnet......

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
i'd say he has GSFs number by now!!!!!

We're soooooo damn helpful here, aren't we!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
QUOTE (Flanders @ Feb 6 2006, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i would bring it to a VW dealer but i was warned if any VW dealers see any after market parts on the car thay will deem the warranty null and void!!!

That's true if they're not OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) parts, ie. VW parts.
If you need to take your car back to the dealer to get any warranty work done on it get rid of that induction kit or they'll probably try to tell you that it caused the problem....even if it's a suspension problem, lol!!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks a lot ppl...im a noobie and you all make me feel like im @ home *wiping tear from my eye*

im not driving her hard @ all so i dont think i am doin the engine any harm.is this GSF place
a VW dealer or jus a motor factors or...???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts