Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner

Mkv Gti :slight Knocking/diesel Like Noise At Idle, Normal?

13K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Jogger 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just bought an 06 gti,has title says, when the car is at idle only, there is a slight knocking noise, bit like a diesel sound...goes away as soon as I give it some gas..no other problems,drives perfect...im new to the gti..is this normal enough?

Thanks.

#2 ·
The tfsi is far from the smoothest petrol engine at idle. Its probably normal. I couldnt say for sure without hearing it.

#4 ·
QUOTE (Cojomo2 @ Apr 7 2011, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks for the reply....

but would I be correct in saying that all mkv gti cars have a diesel sort of sound at idle ?
Yes

#5 ·
QUOTE (kevinm @ Apr 7 2011, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes
great, thanks.

1 other question, a bit off topic:

the car has been remapped, and I will be bringing it to a main VW dealer for a DSG service very soon...is it possible that if they try to update any software etc, that this could overwrite the remap? i.e do i have to tell them the car is remapped, and not to load any software onto the car?
Cheers

#6 ·
QUOTE (Cojomo2 @ Apr 7 2011, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>great, thanks.

the car has been remapped, and I will be bringing it to a main VW dealer for a DSG service very soon...is it possible that if they try to update any software etc, that this could overwrite the remap? i.e do i have to tell them the car is remapped, and not to load any software onto the car?
Cheers

Get your DSG oil service at Geos. He is cheaper than any main dealer and you are getting an experienced mechanic with the proper tools, you never know what you get at some main dealers

http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=58415

#8 ·
QUOTE (Cojomo2 @ Apr 7 2011, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>great, thanks.

Cheers
Some GTI's had a campaign that required an updated map to be flashed by the dealer. This would wipe your remap. You could tell them not to update the ecu. Most tuners would reload the map for little or nothing as they would have the map on file.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
just an update,

bringing the car to a dealer tomorrow and will get their opinion on the engine noise. The knocking/ticking noise only appears at idle and only when the engine has warmed up.

I found this you you tube video which demonstrates the noise, however the one in the video seems a lot louder than mine, but the same type of noise. If you lift the hood on mine, you can hear the noise louder, maybe this is recorded whith the hood up with mic rite next to the engine...but from inside the car/or outside with the hood closed, the sound is similar but nowhere near as loud as the video.

If anyone is familiar with the sound of tfsi engines, could they have a listen and give their opinion? Thanks.youtube tfsi engine sound

#10 ·
QUOTE (Cojomo2 @ Apr 12 2011, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If anyone is familiar with the sound of tfsi engines, could they have a listen and give their opinion? Thanks.youtube tfsi engine sound
That doesnt sound good. Reminds me of the 1.4 mk4's

#11 ·
Hi Kevin,

so is this not the normal noise for a 2.0 tfsi? I have done a heap of searching, and nearly everything I have read says that it is very normal for the tfsi engine to make a 'tock tock tock tock' noise at idle, and that this is due to the hight pressure direct injectors..which have a similar set up to a diesel engine..

#12 ·
Mines been doing it for nearly three years now, always serviced and had the timing belt done last week. No change, and garage has always said all the mkv GTi's he has worked on has been the same. My forge twintake has just arrived at keiths so I'm hoping when I get it tomorrow it might drown out the tock tock tock!

#14 ·
QUOTE (JoeGTI5 @ Apr 12 2011, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mine's definitely not anything as loud or rattly as that, no way.

Hi Joe...

yeah well same with mine..nowhere near as loud as that, but its the same type of sound,does your car make a similar sound(but no where near as loud)...as in a tock tock tock tock, when the engine is warmed up, at idle?

#15 ·
QUOTE (Cojomo2 @ Apr 12 2011, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Joe...

yeah well same with mine..nowhere near as loud as that, but its the same type of sound,does your car make a similar sound(but no where near as loud)...as in a tock tock tock tock, when the engine is warmed up, at idle?

To be honest I've never noticed it. I've never thought "oh, my engine seems much louder than it should!". To me, it sounds normal, louder than a 1 litre Yaris for sure, but I'd expect that.

#16 ·
Christ.

The tfsi are known for being a bit dieselish on tickover, but that sounds way too loud imo.

Could just be the recording though.

#20 ·
QUOTE (qawsed @ Apr 13 2011, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What did the dealer say?

He said he's heard plenty of noisy gtis , said he did a load of tests on the engine and that's everything is good...basically said he could strip down the engine and search for the source of the noise but said I'd be mad to do that..said it's just a characteristic of the gti..and to leave it be...

#21 ·
QUOTE (Cojomo2 @ Apr 13 2011, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>He said he's heard plenty of noisy gtis , said he did a load of tests on the engine and that's everything is good...basically said he could strip down the engine and search for the source of the noise but said I'd be mad to do that..said it's just a characteristic of the gti..and to leave it be...
Ya that's pretty sensible advice. It's definitely not uncommon. Good luck with it.

#22 ·
#23 ·
QUOTE (kevinm @ May 15 2011, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Came across a thread on this on a UK site. It looks like the cam chain and tensioner are at fault. Its more common on early AXX engines. A bit of reading here:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.ph...pic,7752.0.html

Had a research of this myself. Seems to be pretty common on the AXX but happens on BWAs too. It seems to be a pretty harmless thing. I havn't seen one report of anything going wrong just a bit of an annoying noise. Probably not worth spending €1000 to put it right.

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
I priced the job for the OP and it and it comes to around €850-900. I have heard reports of chains breaking on these engines but have never seen it myself.

I can't do an oil pressure test on a Mk5 GTI without a lot of work due to the location of the oil pressure sender and the type of oil pressure tester I have, this may be something I have to sort out as the problem is quite a common one.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just a slight update for anyone else having this problem..

A guy over on the golfgti.co.uk forum has just has the noise on his sorted. It was the same noise as mine but seemed to be worse as his was at idle, and all the way up to 20kph til it disappeared ..but it also only appeared when the engine warmed up ..no noise when cold.

He brought the car to a vw dealer and they changed the chain and tensioner only, made no difference...they then opened the engine back up and replaced the 'camshaft adjuster' (think this is the same part as the chain adjuster/variator,cost about the same- not sure though)..after doing this, the noise vanished.

This is how his gti sounded..mines the same..obviously sounds a lot more subtle than this from inside the cabin...but still very noticeable tapping/knocking sound
Link to video clip of engine noise

Link to the thread:

Link

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.