Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please excuse the vague descriptions and poor wording lads. was checking the oil today.that was fine. said id check the crankcase breather pipe cause i know they are prone to getting clogged. took it off, shook out all the gunge, ran air through it. went investigating further and the place where breather pipe continues into engine ( seperator box???)well i could feel this was all gunge, was trying to clean it out with cloth on finger but is there a valve or something inside it i could have damaged? felt like i pushed something plasticy in? could i have broken something and is this bad?
also whats the best way to clean the blasted thing?!

·
Banned
10,805 Posts
What engine Conor?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lads how do you remove this box? its in an awful place.i want to clean it, cars running fine but its driving me mad that i know its full up with gunge

·
Banned
10,805 Posts
QUOTE (ConorMc @ Jun 17 2010, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>lads how do you remove this box? its in an awful place.i want to clean it, cars running fine but its driving me mad that i know its full up with gunge
Gimme 2hrs Ill take pics, Ive one here, Ill take it apart for you as I need to see inside it myself too.

·
Banned
10,805 Posts
Thanks ****, nearly forgot there

One ahw 'crud box'
Its held onto engine with allen bolts,

Its all plastic and non open-able for cleaning purposes, luckily I have the special tool needed to open such a part of this construction.

The boxes function is to catch the oil mist spinning around down there and let up blow by gases , the idea is that the mist comes out the main hole in through the vents in the box, the oil gets caught in the vanes and returns to sump via the smaller hole at the base of the box. Since the ahw has blow by equal to that of a 747 2 seconds before take-off the vanes inside cannot hold and trap all the oil mist in time, and the blow-by gases(bad rings) carry it all the way up to your intake box and filter.

Any questions

·
Banned
10,805 Posts
QUOTE (Micksheen @ Jun 18 2010, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is one of these on the block of the abf engine as well yeah? any addition to take it off and rinse it out?
Ya, a smaller one, Unless its blocked I wouldn't bother, the abf wont be blowing as much oil mist through it either because it has proper rings, so It should be working as it was supposed to. If your are going to though, Id just bin the old one and buy a new one, cant be that dear for the abf? Or soak in petrol if your tight, like I would

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats great, thanks brian. where the breather pipe enters the box, is there some kinda valve, cause it felt like i pushed something and broke it when i was trying to clean it! i know there is a plastic ring shaped thing alright, i salvaged that.looks like ill be buying a new seperator box!

·
Banned
10,805 Posts
QUOTE (ConorMc @ Jun 18 2010, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thats great, thanks brian. where the breather pipe enters the box, is there some kinda valve, cause it felt like i pushed something and broke it when i was trying to clean it! i know there is a plastic ring shaped thing alright, i salvaged that.looks like ill be buying a new seperator box!
No, no valve, just the little plastic shield shoved in as shown in the 4th picture.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
anyone have a spare AHW engine with this part? dont want to go threw the main dealers, they want crazy money and dont even include the breather pipe which i also need, and thats also ridiculosy priced

·
Banned
10,805 Posts
QUOTE (ConorMc @ Jul 20 2010, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>anyone have a spare AHW engine with this part? dont want to go threw the main dealers, they want crazy money and dont even include the breather pipe which i also need, and thats also ridiculosy priced
I have a clean breather pipe. As for the box, I made bits of it above showing you the inside...and how you may be able to clean it with some solvent/petrol

·
Banned
10,805 Posts
QUOTE (VinnyTheGolfMan @ Jul 20 2010, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I suppose this is the reason that 1.4's are known for drinking oil then.
Blow-by? Yes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts