Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aaahhhhhhhhh,, my head is melted,
found a cracker of a mk3 today, just when i had decided to buy mk4!!
mk4 is a proper 180 bhp in good order, mk3 is jap and immaculate!!
please talk some sense to me, any advice or things to watch out for, as my name says i was a mk2 man
cheers

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
QUOTE (mossymk2 @ Apr 18 2011, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>aaahhhhhhhhh,, my head is melted,
please talk some sense to me, any advice or things to watch out for, as my name says i was a mk2 man
cheers
i would have the mk4 all day long i know the abf is a cracker of an engine but the rest of the car really lets it down,i have owned/worked on 4 mk3's and all of them have had problems and continue to give problems..rust on the sills is a problem,the electrics can be a issue with them as well,i would never advise anyone to buy a mk3 golf as in my opinion they are soft,

the mk4 isnt perfect either,but its alot more car,for one the engine has loads of potential and its a very good tuning base if your thinking of going in that direction,also as a place to be i think the mk4 is much nicer,

my opinion anyway

PJ

·
The Minister for Hardship&#33;&#33;
4,250 Posts
Having owned and driven both Mk3's and Mk4's I'd take the Mk3

Better cars to drive IMO and Not as troublesome

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
The mk3s are far easier to work on, and parts are cheap. Electrics are simple, and reasonably foolproof. A 16v should have 280mm brakes (minimum) and handle fairly well as standard, compared to mk4s which are soft and heavy, really showing themselves up on a spirited backroad drive.
If you are used to mk2s, you will have no surprises with a mk3.

Jap spec, with recaros? Mmmm. Nice seats.

Rust is the killer though, if you get a rust free example and mind it, underneath especially, you should be ok.

·
Registered
266 Posts
QUOTE (mossymk2 @ Apr 18 2011, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>aaahhhhhhhhh,, my head is melted,
cheers

If its your daily MK4 Weekend Mk3 !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.