Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The sneaky fcukers, that's up by over €400!!!
Where do they get the values from?? I'd like to go into the main VW dealer to trade a 16 year old gti against a new car and tell them that the OMV is €3076. They'd laugh their bollix off. Also afaik the gti is not listed in the little book that the dealers get, it don't go back that far.
So it leaves the burning question, Where do the VRT office get their prices when the car is out of production 14 years????

·
The Minister for Hardship!!
4,250 Posts
QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 21 2006, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The sneaky fcukers, that's up by over €400!!!
Where do they get the values from?? I'd like to go into the main VW dealer to trade a 16 year old gti against a new car and tell them that the OMV is €3076. They'd laugh their bollix off. Also afaik the gti is not listed in the little book that the dealers get, it don't go back that far.
So it leaves the burning question, Where do the VRT office get their prices when the car is out of production 14 years????

The book in work only goes to 1998 iirc

·
Registered
713 Posts
Its based on the OMSP of the car. They obviously think that people are buying them cheap in the UK, bringing them in and selling them at a profit and they want in on it!! And lets face it, that is actually happening quite a bit. I think they are also realising that VRT as it currently stands wont last for ever so they are going to cream as much out of it as possible while they can.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
This is true Leon.
I wonder if you actually asked them how do they price them up. There is probably a fella looking in the buy and sell and all that to see what people are asking for them then base it on that. I wonder what answer if any would they give you??

·
Skoda - Simply Clever
1,239 Posts
It has gone up

I brought my car down December 2004. I know 2 years of inflation since then, but it cost me €390 to VRT it, same details now come out at €665!!!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
QUOTE (Geo @ Mar 21 2006, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just put in the details on my car there to see and it was 769 or something
(91 8v)

DATE: 21 March 2006 TIME: 19:58

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STATISTICAL CODE: 42589347
MAKE: VOLKSWAGEN
MODEL: PASSAT D (Nov. 1996 - Oct. 2000)
VERSION: SPORT 110 BHP 04DR / SALOON / MANUAL / DIESEL /
MILEAGE: 134000 MILES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): MARCH 1998
OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
(applicable on enquiry date) €3350
RATE OF TAX: 25.0%
VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
(payable on enquiry date) €837

i paid 844 just over 2 months ago so its down 7 yoyos (BIG SWING) or has the car depreciated 7 yoyos in 2 months

Attachments

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
QUOTE (Glenn @ Mar 21 2006, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The robbing SOB's! They're sneaking them up!!!!

You think that is bad the VRT for a E36 M3 has more than doubled over night a few weeks ago, sly ole dogs

·
Registered
713 Posts
QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 21 2006, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is true Leon.
I wonder if you actually asked them how do they price them up. There is probably a fella looking in the buy and sell and all that to see what people are asking for them then base it on that. I wonder what answer if any would they give you??

I doubt they would give you an explanation Brian. Some of the OMSP's they come up with are ridiculous. However one thing to remember is that despite the impression you get when on the phone to them or dropping into a VRT office, they are not all stupid and there are a small handful who are clued in. At some stage over the next 10/15 years the government is going to have to change to a C02 based system which doesnt really bode well for older cars as they will have higher emissions but will reduce the price of new cars which will have an knock on effect on the used market eventually which will redulce the level of imports but dont bank on it happening for a while yet as there is too much money to be made on VRT as it is.

·
Resident Polo Pervert
5,183 Posts
Dont talk to me about VRT, thats kinda a sore spot at the minute, my wallet is a bit lighter because of it.

6 Months driving a Corrado & I was waved through all checkpoints, 6 days in a family car & I get the "get it sorted, I'll be keeping my eye on you" from a friendly traffic corps git.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The stupid thing is the system is not indexed for things like mileage/condition/service history. Things that actually add to the cars valve.

There is prob no difference between a 1988 mrk 2 with 200K miles in bits and with no history and a 91 minter with 50K miles full history alloys leather etc. I've no idea where they get the OMSPs from but it's sickening

·
Registered
875 Posts
Got a Celica ST162 (1887) for my wife in November. Checked the VRT at the time and it was 331 euro. Went over and bought the car, didd'nt Vrt until last month. Now the ST162 model is a classic or so I'm told, so guess what 775 euro.

I got my wife a car she really loves for 750 pound, so I get lots of lovin.
Then I get shagged by the revenue to the tune of 775 euro.

John

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just shows you what a ripoff that we are having in this country. Absolutely terrible.

The sooner that VRT is gone the better...

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
I've been trying to ring them for 3 days now & finally got through
just before 1. Tried the offices in Santry, Tallaght & Portlaoise &
to make it worse they couldn;t tell me what I was looking for & will call me back in a few days!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts