Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to install a cd player in my 91 golf, hooked it all up great, put the key in grand the stereo turns on , but if i turn the key the stereo turns off, tried all combinations and still nothing, the old stereo worked fine in it, have tried 2 sony cd players and both turn off when car key turned ,, please help at my wits end.

ronan

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
there should be a yellow wire that holds continous power coming from the back of the stereo. That should be wired straight (fused) to the battery.

The red wire from the back of the stereo is for power from the key. Its possible to wire this yourself direct, but be careful as your playing with the main artery (as it were) to the car! You could fry a lot of stuff!

And then all there is is a blue wire for the illumination, wire that into your light switch,

Does the radio turn on, manually, when the car is turned on?

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the golf had an iso connection on it, yes the stereo turns on by its self when key is inserted, but when key is turned to start ignition the unit powers off...

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
My Mk2 doesn't have the 'power to radio when key is inserted' feature and I thought none of the Mk2s did.

As far as I know you only have the red power wire going to the iso connector and you have to make sure that this wire is providing power to both the red and yellow power connectors on the radio itself.

Normally the iso connector that comes with the radio has seperate bullet connectors on the red and yellow wires to allow them to be connected up the correct way for whatever car the radio is to be fitted to.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
QUOTE (Geo @ Apr 6 2006, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My Mk2 doesn't have the 'power to radio when key is inserted' feature and I thought none of the Mk2s did.

They dont have the ability to turn on/off on inserting the key, but you can wire up your own ignition wire.

Just outta curiousty, did all mk3s come with that feature?

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
They had it but it wasn't connected on a lot of them. The switch for it in the ignition barrel was a bit shit.

The 93 one I had came with it's original radio, but was wired up so that feature wasn't used. I put in a cd player and wired it up so that it did turn off when you removed the key but a week later it stopped working so I went back to the old way.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is the old way, where the radio is on all the time unless you turn it off?????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts