Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
square as in westmoreland or rallye? Both, if original, would have been lhd, westmoreland was US and Rallye was Germany. Rallyes are pretty obvious to the eye though, the recaros would be half leather. Not sure if westie fronts came on US gtis, think they may have been a base model?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Carden @ Apr 24 2011, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>square as in westmoreland or rallye? Both, if original, would have been lhd, westmoreland was US and Rallye was Germany. Rallyes are pretty obvious to the eye though, the recaros would be half leather. Not sure if westie fronts came on US gtis, think they may have been a base model?
thanks walter, any idea where i'd find pics and specs

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Westy's are base models as Walter says, the gti came with the round light grille, doubt the came with Recaros.
Some Yank Jetta's came with recaro velour seats, these are seriously hard to find and are seriously sweet.

Some Jetta gti's came with recaros in europe.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
What paddy said.

Is it forsale here?

Whats the dash like?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
I would be interested in some parts or the whole thing depending on price.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
QUOTE (neilc @ Apr 28 2011, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would be interested in some parts or the whole thing depending on price.

i'm interested in it for myself Neil, but dont know what its worth, the shell is in very good condition, but the engine needs to be put back together, theres 69000miles on the car but the engine im told only has 25000miles on it, any idea what i should offer for it ?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
pm'd

·
Oh Glenn, you nasty&#33;
2,931 Posts
Those seats arnt recaro anyway. Front panel missing? Think those gti's had jetta headlamps, not the westy front. Front bumper is euro spec too by the looks of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That looks to be about an 87 US Spec GTI. Note the side marker lights in the front fenders (wings). That would be the incorrect front bumper for the car, note the rear has red stripes as should be while the front has chrome which would be a base Golf. The seats are Recaro designed for VW, but not true Recaro. The grill would have been the quad round headlights similar to the Euro Jetta.

That is just what I observed from what you can see in the photos, hope it helps.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
QUOTE (DavidK @ May 2 2011, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>this might be a silly question but should the lower half of the front wing not be red?

US cars were painted like that from the factory.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (vwmike @ May 2 2011, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That looks to be about an 87 US Spec GTI. Note the side marker lights in the front fenders (wings). That would be the incorrect front bumper for the car, note the rear has red stripes as should be while the front has chrome which would be a base Golf. The seats are Recaro designed for VW, but not true Recaro. The grill would have been the quad round headlights similar to the Euro Jetta.

That is just what I observed from what you can see in the photos, hope it helps.
thank you Mike, the car is infact an 87 you were bang on the money

Simon

·
Registered
985 Posts
Front bumper actuallys looks like a yank one but with chrome striping. Visibally deep between the chrome trims

Unfortunately the euro indicators won't fit so you need the US indys which are pretty hard to come by.

Certainly looks like a good buy for the right kinda money dude

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Good stuff.

@Paul, that is not a US bumper, not deep enough.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.